I'm a former Pack secretary and Troop Chairperson, but I'm not currently registered or affiliated with BSA in any way. My son made Eagle in Dec. 2004 at age 16 with 42 merit badges (LOTS of "provisional" summer camp). He had a very rough Trail to Eagle, filled with potholes put there by his scoutmaster (ie, failure to give him the papers he needed to get his project approved at Council. We finally got the needed papers from another troop. He also told my son to purchase his own Eagle badge, which we did). The SM chose not to attend my son's Eagle ceremony, so it went off without him, which was fine. Seven months ago, my son earned the Bronze Palm. Four months ago, he earned the Gold Palm. He had his SM conferences and troop BOR's for each of these, but he has yet to receive any of his Palms. Troop COH's have come and gone without any Palms. The SM tells my son he will get his Palms "eventually". Now my son has additionally been told that in order to earn his Silver Palms, he has to hold a titled leadership position for three months. From what I read on the Palms application, that's not listed as one of the requirements. So I took this matter to Council for clarification. They are currently investigating the matter. However, Council also stated that they are treating these allegations as "hearsay". (I don't feel it's "hearsay" that my son's handbook is signed off and he has yet to receive his Palms.) My question is this....where do we go from here if the Scoutmaster still refuses to give my son his Palms?

IMO...this is inexcusable! I would not only contact your council but I would also talk to your COR about the Scoutmaster's refusal to award the palms! If necessary then the 3 of you can sit down and clarify the reasons or excuses! As a Scoutmaster, I also find it inexcusable that he gave no help to your son with his Eagle paperwork too!....and I don't know about your council, but when we send an Eagle application off to be approved, it comes back with the full set of badges & pins..which are generally provided (paid for) by some local group.

sue m.

Have the advancement reports for the palms been turned in? If so, your son has earned the palms. You can go to the Scout Shop and buy them, and forget the COH, if you wish.

As for the Silver palm, it is clear that the SM has something against your son. We can't judge from you story whether there is any justification for it or not, but he shouldn't deal with it by adding requirements. I will suggest, however, that at this point you are unlikely to reconcile with this particular SM.

Serving in a leadership position for 3 months would be one way to satisfy the leadership requirement for a silver palm. But a "titled position" is not required. The requirements are spelled out in the book. If the boy has another idea, he should approach the SM with his Handbook and work out a plan.