Help - Scout transferring to Scotland

I am the advancement chair for a troop in Minnesota. We have a scout who transferred here from a Boy Scout Troop in Germany, has been with us several years, and now will be returning home to Kirkcaldy in the county Fife, Scotland (his father works for a multi-national company).

What options are there for him continuing in Boy Scouts in Scotland. Are there any good ways for him to locate a troop, or should he just become a Lone Scout? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Jon,

He might want to give the Northeast Region a call !!

I know that sounds odd, but the Transatlantic Council comes under them. They should be able to let him know if there is a BSA unit in the area.

If not he may want to join the Scout Association (Scouting UK).

It's very good -But maybe I'm biased?

Details can be found at

http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/index.htm

If he waits till he arrives he can give Gilwell Park a call and I feel sure that my friends there will be able to help.

Eamonn.

Jon,

Welcome to the forums. The Transcontinental Council has a website at http://www.tac-bsa.org/. It appears that Scotland falls under the Mayflower District and there is a Troop 248 in Aberdeen. The District Executive's phone number and e-mail address are listed on the district page. He can tell you if there are other active BSA units in Scotland.

Thanks to Eamonn, I found the same information that SR540Beaver provided (except I used Google Maps). I have forwarded this information to the scout's parents. He just got First Class several months ago, and already has the merit badges for Star. He will be attending one week of Summer Camp with us and then heading overseas.

I'm hoping we can hook him up with a troop, since that's a much better experience than the Lone Scout route. Since he was in a troop in Germany, and has attended Camp Freedom, I suspect the troop he came from may have been from the German branch of the Transatlantic Council.

Thanks again for your help.

Of course if he has great looking Knees like mine (So says Her Who Must Be Obeyed !!)

He might want to show them off in a kilt and join a local unit.

Back in the day.... When I was a service team member at Walton Firs National Camp Site in Cobham we seen a lot of T184 -Nice group they redid the chapel for us.

Eamonn.

(This message has been edited by Eamonn)