Looking for a campout log book

Do you ever write up an After Action Report after a campout? I'm a new Cubmaster and I'm thinking it would be good to record items like good directions (Google maps doesn't always have the best directions), actual state of facilities (ex - the facility states they have picnic tables, but they were few and far between, water source was close to campsite A3, etc.) I know I can come up with some other items to record, but if I don't have to re-invent a wheel...

I searched for a pre-printed log book but haven't had any luck so far.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

FTB

Funny you should mention this......

I am currently working on something similar as a Wood Badge ticket item. I am putting together a "Pack #### Activity Guide" to include local campsite info. The plan is to post the doc on our Google Drive site so future leaders can easily find pertinent info to schedule events. For now, I am filling in my "Cub Scout Campsite Checklist." I haven't decided on the best format to organize the information. I have it in an Excel spreadsheet, but I may move it over to a Word format and save it to a PDF. I have searched other local units' websites and I have only found one with an events spreadsheet. I was hoping not to "reinvent the wheel," too. I think it would be something nice to share with the folks at Roundtable. Especially the newbies.

Great ticket idea! I'll be interested in hearing about your final result. I had started a simple spreadsheet but the word document might be better. If I had the time & skills a database is probably best. Oh well, as long as I capture key items to pass on to the next leader.

Good luck!

FTB

I used to be a Buffalo.

• 4 weeks later...
the problem with this sort of book is who is going to maintain it......and how is it going to be created???

Are you going to drive to each site and evaluate it annually or semi annually?????

Without maintenance the book is worthless.

You are correct.

The book will need a date on it so that folks will know whether it is current or not.

Generally, the campsites do not change. That state park or memorial forest has been there for years and it isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Now the fees will have changed or maybe the picnic tables were removed, but all it takes is a phone call to get the current info--info you should ask about if you are looking into scheduling the site anyway.

And, the book could be passed on to another individual to update.

For example, another ticket item of mine is to update my WB Troop Guide's "Cub Scout Non-Rank Awards" 84-page book. He completed the book in 2004 and it was last revised in 2006. The preface clearly states to "please review the requirements and availability of awards before beginning to work with Scouts to earn them, as requirements, availability and even existence of the awards may have changed since researching this project."

The non-rank awards book is a great start for leaders to look over the awards and see what may or may not be available, just as a camp book is a guide to help schedule a campout.

Polaris you are not correct......Campsites can change very dramatically...Either thru vandalism, fires, thefts or closures.......

One of our favorite campsites had its water well status changed to not potable. Had another where the picnic tables were all stolen..... yet another took out it's fire rings. had one that no longer permits scout groups.

Polaris you are not correct......Campsites can change very dramatically...Either thru vandalism, fires, thefts or closures.......

One of our favorite campsites had its water well status changed to not potable. Had another where the picnic tables were all stolen..... yet another took out it's fire rings. had one that no longer permits scout groups.

I understand campsites can change and that is why I said, "generally." One of our local parks suffered tornado damage last year and was closed for a period of time.

However, a simple phone call to the facility to double check the info will take care of any facility changes. "It's closed." Move on to plan B. I am sure your events coordinator calls and asks the reservation office about the facility's amenities before booking the site. Right?

As I stated previously, think of it as a "guide" with a preface noting the material may have changed.

I think a new Cub Scout leader could benefit from flipping through a single source of reference material to help plan a campout. If anything, listing the info for the sites will give the scheduler a better idea of what to ask about during the phone call--especially if the campsite checklist is included.

In my experience, our Pack has a limited number of facilities we visit (maybe 10) because most Cub parents don't like driving over one hour. So, a Cub Camping Guide would be easier to put together. Troop camping is much different. A Troop Camping Guide would be more burdensome and useless.