NYLT high adventure format (backpacking, canoeing)

NYLT at Greater St. Louis Area Council has a high adventure theme: three days going from one campsite to another by canoe and the other three days backpacking; course materials are taught on the trail along the way.

http://www.stlbsa.org/training/youth-training/Pages/National-Youth-Leadership-Training.aspx

What other councils offer NYLT in a high adventure format?

I'm looking for something a little closer to Washington, DC.

Anyone with Scouts that attended training at GSLAC?

Thanks.

..Mike Smith . Scoutmaster, Troop 440, Silver Spring, MD

PS - Found the info on this blog by Scouter Mom:

http://www.scoutermom.com/content/?p=1845

This is a great idea. We looked into it several years ago but never did anything about it. I understand that a couple of councils did something like this with the JLTC program in the 90s. and I know that the Wood Badge experimented with at Philmont. I would certainly enjoy you keeping us up to date and even giving us a little of how the daily agenda and lesson plans work. I think it will be hit if you pull it off.

Barry

• 1 year later...

Hi Everyone. My name is Joe Paglisotti, and I was an Assistant Youth Director for the Greater St. Louis Area Council's NYLT in the summer of 2012.

I have staffed NYLT for 4 years now, and one of those years I staffed the high adventure course we have, called Pack n' Paddle. Just like Mike said, half the week the participants canoe across a lake, and the other half they are hiking throughout S-F Scout Ranch in Knob Lick, Missouri. While hiking and canoeing, the participants will stop by various stations and outpost camps where the program will be taught to them. It is quite a fun course, as it is kind of like a mix of NYLT, Philmont, and Northern Tier. For the past 2 years, we have offered NYLT for Venturing Scouts as well.

This year we received many out-of-council participants, and we would be honored to have any from your councils.

If anyone has any questions regarding NYLT, please don't hesitate to email me at jpaglisotti@gmail.com.