Hello,

I have been searching high and low on the internet and locally around my town, but have yet to find this particular bead.

These beads were awarded for various outings when I was a scout in New Mexico. I would like to start the same tradition in my son's troop.

They are approximately .5 inches in diameter and not quite a .25 inch thick. They are a disk shape. I have a picture, but not sure how to up load.

I have had zero luck finding such beads, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jeff

emb021,

Yes, those are exactly what I am looking for. It looks like they are using them for the same purpose as well.

I will see if I can get ahold of someone from that troop.

I guess I should have posted here first!

Thank you kindly,

Jeff

Actually it's not that bad Base. My troop did something similar, except we used pony beads. We used wooden beads for single camp outs, 10 camp outs, week long camps, 10 week long camps, 100 weeken camps, service projects NOT used for advancement, 50 milers, totin ship, and building a fire in the rain. Plastic/glass pony beads for religious retreats and scout show.

We also used arrowheads for major things: AOL, Rel Award, Eagle,etc.

We had them, too, when I was a Scout in the 70s. Pretty simple to manage, I think. Sunday morning, after our Scout's Own service, the SM would hand out a bead to everyone there. He had some sort of color code going on, which was kind of fun (for me as an 11-yr-old). After awhile, he stopped the practice, but I don't know why.

One story I remember about them -- we did our own summer camp a couple of times, and he had bead colors based on our patrol campsite inspections. Honor patrol, in a way. Then one day, he had a patrol that far exceeded his expectations, and he gave out an unused bead color to them. So it became our patrol's mission to earn the same bead for the next day.

Honestly, I don't see a bead incentive thing working with my present troop. We can't even get guys to sew on rank badges after they're earned.

Guy

Here is an update.

I made contact with someone from Troop 212 and this is their bead supplier;

Ozark Campfire Company

P.O. Box 1127

Belton, MO 64012

Phone: 816-331-7112

Fax: 816-331-1204

She said that they are 'old school' so no website to order from. You have to call or fax to order. I called and requested a catalog.

Jeff