Council anctioned event VS Council ran event

So, what is the difference between a Council sanctioned event or a Council run event.

No, I do not mean the obvious, but rather on a deeper level.

Okay, we all know the G2SS ruling on BB guns and Archery as far as a pack or den is concerned...or is there a loophole?

Okay, let me set this up for you. A few months ago( well ...Feb.) I got a flyer from my council advertising an Certified Archery Instructor class.

Certified Instructor, mind you, not just a class where you got credit for just attending. So I thought ; " Hey! I bet I could teach a bunch of our boys with that!"

But then I remembered G2SS and what it says about BB guns and Archery at the pack or den level.

So I even sent an e-mail to our DE and asked if this was a different case since it was a certified instructor class and not just a "how to" class, would I be able to have archery at our pack campouts?

WEll, the reply e-mail was a a forwarded response e-mail from the instructor of the class.

I wish I had saved it so I could paste it here.

Anyways, it came down to this:

Since I would be a "certified " BSA Archery instructor ( assuming I passed the class)

AND since we are supposed to file Tour permits for camping even at the pack level

AND since we would be covered by insurance

AND if I followed my training and put all safety measures in place

then YES, this would be okay.

So anyways, here's my whole question to those who have much greater time and experience in BSA and specifically Cub Scouts:

Was this just a "hear what I want" reply to get me to take the class ( $$$), or was this a misunderstanding in either my question or the instructors answer, or is the whole trick to being sanctioned exactly what the guy said ( certified, tour permit, all safety measures in place)?

As it turns out, unexpected issues came up at my job and I couldn't make the class.

Incidentally, one of our DL's recognized the name of the instructor as the guy who wrote/modified the most the current policy on Archery for BSA.

As much as I hate to say it, I cannot remember the guys name.

So does it come down to council "SANCTIONED" simply meaning you have a permit, have certified instructors and all safety measures in place?

Or would this be a "varies depending upon council" type of thing?

See, I'm thinking for the future. If this class comes again, and the answers I get are legit...I'm taking it!

From GTSS

"Cub Scouting Standards

Youth members of Cub Scouting are permitted to participate in the shooting activities named in here only.

Archery and BB gun shooting are restricted to day camps, Cub Scout/Webelos Scout resident camps, council-managed family camping programs, or to council activities where there are properly trained supervisors and all standards for BSA shooting sports are enforced. Archery and BB gun shooting are not to be done at the pack level.

Cub Scouts are not permitted to use any other type of handgun or firearm."

It seems pretty clear. Nothing said about Council Sanctioned or Council ran, but specific activities. As far as "council activities" that would be activities put on at the council level.

Trained or not a "Pack" cannot do Archery and BB gun shooting at the pack level nor can a District except as stated above.

You can have a Pack activity with BB and/or Archery, if you have it at a Council Camp. We had use of the BB pavilion and set up eight BB stations and eight Archery stations. You do have to have certified Range Officers (we had one of each, plus I am certified for both). The Council might help you to find one, if you don't have one in your Pack, but it is best to have your own. I have also run a shooting event for other Packs, at the request of the Head Ranger for camp. This does not mean that I can setup a range on my yard (plenty of room)nor at some other campground to have my scouts shooting. By using a council facility (camp), this becomes a Council event for a single Pack (the way it was explained to me).

Gary is correct in that a pack cannot do their own BB gun shooting as it is a violation of G2SS.

However some councils, including my own, have programs in place where a pack uses the BB gun range, equipment, and council certified folks to run it. My understanding is that becasue the council is offering the program, it is covered by G2SS.

Also districts, because they are extensions of the council, can operate BB Gun and Archery programs. Otherwise CSDCs would not be able to haev those programs sicne they are usually run on the district level.