I was wondering what accounting program different troops use. We are currently using a basic/generic accounting package and not overly happy with it. I've been looking at a Scouting specific package but not 100% sold on it either.

Just wondering what others are using to track monies (dues, expenses, etc.) for their troop.

We use...our Treasurer. He is tight with the troop purse strings and would never spend the money on a program to do what he already does. He is retired and has the time to put into it. He was, by the way a programmer, so for him to reject software should indicate how miserly he is. Don't take that the wrong way--he has been our treasurer for almost 8 years now and he should be committed--I mean is a committed--asset to the troop.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that Troop Ledger (troopmaster.com) is an excellent, comprehensive program designed for the way Scout units operate. It is based on solid accounting principles. If you don't understand debiting and crediting of accounts, then you'll need to read the user guide carefully. You can track routine budget income/expense, scout accounts, trip accounts, troop assets (trailers, gear, etc.), and much, much more.

I got our treasurer to try it a couple of years ago, believing that it would provide more clarity and granularity of reporting. However, our treasurer was more comfortable using Excel - dozens of spreadsheets with a couple of formulas, but it is exceedingly difficult to produce ad hoc reports with any degree of confidence. TL would have been terrific in my opinion, had the treasurer really taken the time to evaluate the program and get used to a new (better) way of accounting.

You can get Troop Ledger on a trial basis.