I have started collecting vintage OA handbooks and the one copyrighted 1973 has a chart listing number of boys eligible, number of active registered unit members and maximum number of names on the ballot. So for example, number of boys eligible (7-8) number of active registered members (8-18) maximum names on ballot (2).

There's plenty of room for misunderstanding how balloting works (worked). That's why it's so important to have top-notch kids running elections. It's pretty easy to mess it up by not explaining how one may vote or not vote.

The old rules were that you could vote for up to half of the number eligible. Anyone receiving 50% of the vote was elected. I don't recall there ever being a restriction on how many could be elected, but then I don't own any old books on the subject. Consider: a troop has 12 members. 8 show up for the election. 4 are eligible. If 4 kids vote for two of them, and the other 4 vote for the other 2, 100% are elected. Likely? No. But the restriction was on how many one could vote for; not on how many could be elected.

BDPT00