Another way of looking at knots.

I have spent the last couple decades as a Paramedic and firefighter and knots are an invaluable tool. Dozens of them, all the time!

My favorite though, is the Boline. I have used it to bring people out of fires, to lift tools several stories and most importantly to get myself safely out of buildings that are becoming a hazard (relatively speaking of course) The knot is strong, reliable and most important you can learn to tie it on your belly, in several hundred degrees, zero visibilty and know it will still hold you! How can you hate a knot like that?

If you ever want a great resource for teaching knots to the boys hit up your local fire departmet! As both a retired Chief and a Scouter this is a great event. The Firefighters get to meet youth who are interested in Public Service, and the youth get a meeting or event different then the rest, what is more fun then being at the firehouse? They learn real life applications of the knots, it's no longer just "When will I use geometry and/or knots?" They see value in what they can do with knots and they remember them!