Just some observations from our Webelos open house, which was held last night.

About welcome kits: I'd put together some folders, and when I was talking to parents of prospective "crossovers" I showed them the folders and let them look at pages. But I'd asked if rather than handing them over at that moment if I could present the folder to their sons. I did just that, and in almost every case the scout immediately handed the folder over to his parent. :)

My wife had suggested I add a page to the folder that included information about uniforms and equipment. She specifically said "I'm going to want to know what we will need to get." When I explained the sheet to prospective parents, I got vigorous nodding as if to agree. The sheet specifically mentioned uniforms in our troop (the centennial uniform, our troop neckerchief, and that we have a "Class B" t-shirt we wear), the 10 essentials, and then listed the additions needed for overnight camping with us. Nothing groundbreaking.

I included an application with the folder, and I used a line I heard last year with my older son: "even if you don't join our troop, please join a troop!". With parents, I went one small step farther: "this application can be used to join any troop." Thinking back about it right now, I probably should have showed them the box to check for AoL recipients and that it was kind of like a transfer, more than it is a new registration.

I sent out, via email, invitations to every Cubmaster in town, and each of the Webelos II den leaders, three dens in total. I think there are about 14 Webelos II scouts in town this year, total. I sent a reminder this last week. I got exactly zero responses. My younger son came, and five others showed up. I think the lesson is that next year I probably should make phone calls to invite people. In general, though, I wish everyone were better with email. I tend to not be at home in the evenings, and email is a far more efficient method of communication.

When the meeting opened up, the "prospective crossovers" merged in with the rest of the troop. I pulled the parents aside, to address them separately. All of the meeting happened at my back and I couldn't observe. From what I heard, though, everything was going very well.

For my part (by the way, I am the membership guy on our troop committee), I went through the folder with parents, and gave them a brief rundown of the program. I stressed that Cub Scouts is a parent-child program and that Boy Scouts is not, and that it is all about developing personal growth. I also stressed, because I sensed confusion about this last year when my older son was transitioning, that once they crossover, their son is done with Cub Scouts. He's able to attend Boy Scout meetings, and go on weekend campouts, and go to summer camp this coming summer.

I got several questions, such as (some kind of amusing):

How soon can my son earn Eagle?

What exactly will he have to do to become an Eagle? (same dad as above)

Do dads have to go on campouts?

What do they do at summer camp?

We talked about rank advancement, and merit badges. We talked about swimming requirements and the safe swim plan. I talked about expenses, but nobody really seemed that concerned about it.

All in all, I'd say it was a fairly relaxed evening, and everyone seemed to get a good picture of the troop.

Guy