I am the Scoutmaster for an LDS troop (although I am not a member of the church). My son recently turned 12 years old, which means he gets to do things with the older boys (Young Men's Program) now. I am concerned that someone will think that I might let him get away with some things that I might not let the other boys. I am also concerned that I might inadvertently be harder on him to make sure that someone doesn't think this.

As was said before, it's a fine line that I have to walk to make sure that I don't either favor him or ride him harder than the other boys. It's more difficult than it seems but I would never "laugh off" his bad behavior.

My wife is a member and my three kids decided that they wanted to join. Because the 11-year old Scouts aren't considered the same as 12-18 year old Scouts, the only way my son could go to summer camp this last summer, is if I went along. Because of my Scouting background, I was asked to teach the Wilderness Survival Merit Badge, which I did.

I was asked by the Bishop if I would consider being an ASM and I said yes. Well about two weeks after coming back from camp, the Bishop sprung the Scoutmaster thing on me. He said that he liked the way I handled the boys during camp and my MB classes. The last Scoutmaster was only there because it was his "calling." I had been an SM before and the Bishop knew this from our talks at camp.

I told him, that if he really wanted me to, that I would be the SM until someone better suited came along.

He seems to be satisfied with my work so far and the boys seem to like me OK and seem to not mind that I am not a member. But now, the troop attends district and council events and we are starting to plan more outings like their first 50-miler next summer.

I just wish that they didn't have an aversion to camping on Sunday so that we could actually have two nights of camping per event and not only one.

Gold Winger - "How on earth did you manage that?"

I think the further away you get from Utah, the more lax it becomes. I served on a Wood Badge staff that had two LDS staffers on it who did the regular Friday, Saturday and Sunday schedule. We also had a number of LDS participants. Being there on Sunday didn't seem to present a problem. Go further west and closer to Utah and that won't fly.

SR540Beaver, I don't see the laxity here in Missouri and scottmphoto is posting from Arkansas. :)

One way to begin the identification of LDS Troops out here is to see who packs up and leaves Saturday evening. I've yet to see a known LDS Troop still camping on a Sunday except for two Troops that came to Summer Camp on the regular start day rather than coming out early on Monday.

In the LDS Scout handbook (a little separate church printed book) it says that a ward's Bishop can allow camping/traveling on Sunday for like 2 or 3 times a year (I can't remember the number given exactly) for special occasions. This is usually a special trip like summer camp or Philmont where the troop has to travel more than the usual distance. But, you'll find that this doesn't happen very often especially since the Young Men (Scouts) have a major part in the Sacrament meeting ceremony and they have to be there for it. I don't know of any time (at least since 2004) that our local Bishop has approved it.

I'm a Baptist and I can't remember a single time that my old troop ever left on Saturday, especially since we always attended the Vesper ceremony on Sunday morning. It's just a lot harder to get the boys to earn a few of their badges with them not being able to stay over on Saturday night.

We try to have an outdoor activity every month and this, along with maybe 5 days of summer camp can get them 15 days and nights of camping a year. With our older boys though, you run into some of them having band and football on Friday night and some of them work, so a lot of them don't get to attend the events.