Dual roles (or multitasking)

Yah, nothin' wrong with it, BulldogBlitz. A conflict of interest happens when yeh are in a position where you owe a duty to one person or group, but you also hold a second position where yeh owe a duty to a different group with competing interests. So if you are servin' on city council deciding on contracts (duty of care to the people of the city), and you are a contractor bidding on one of those contracts (duty of care to your company/self).

In the case of a COR and CC, both positions owe a duty to one and only one group - the Chartered Organization. Both work for that organization. Now, I suppose sometimes it can be an ethical conflict of interest for a troop parent to serve in either role, eh? Or in da role of SM. That would happen because a parent has a duty to their son, eh? But a CC or SM has a duty to the CO and the troop. I reckon we've all seen SMs or CCs who put their son's interest or needs ahead of their duty to the CO/troop, which truly is a conflict of interest if their interests are not aligned (if the interest of da troop is to do advancement well, and the interest of the parent is to get their kid Eagle quickly, for example).

When a COR serves as a CC it has a different feel, eh? The Chartered Partner feels more "present". Its values and goals are talked about more. Done well, adult conflicts because of other MCs and parents havin' a different vision are reduced, because it's clear what the troop owner's vision is. But yeh do need a good person in the role, eh? One who exercises a gentle hand on the tiller most times, and lets da crew work. Otherwise the combined position can be a bit overbearin'.

Beavah

In general, the BSA doesn't want people wearing more than one hat, except in a few instances like the ones I mentioned above and also witht he new Scout parents POR. It can cause problems, conflicts, and can lower your performance.

In my case I am the OA chapt. adv. and Lodge AIA adviser. During Ordeals there are conflicts as my chapter may be doing A, but AIA is doing B. Ditto witht he upcoming fall fellowship as there are chapter activities going on simultaneously as AIA activities.