I'm a new unit commissioner assigned to commish a pack that has been whining that they need a commissioner. The problem is that they really don't want a commissioner and don't really seem to want to follow any sort of program.

I spent weeks trying to get in touch with the CC. Finally the Dist. Commish corraled her and told her that I had been trying to get in touch. "Oh, I know but I have a life so I can't be bothered" was the reply.

When I finally spoke to her it was revealed that a den leader is doing double duty as CM. I explained that this really wasn't a good thing to do. Oh, that's the way we always do it because we can't get volunteers. It is a large pack with more than 50 boys. I offered to sit down with her and the CM and talk about ways to recruit more adult help. Hasn't happened.

Phone calls and emails about visiting the pack meetings and committee meetings go unanswered.

Most recently, I noticed that their calendar included "Laser Tag." I dashed off an email explaining that Laser Tag isn't an approved activity. No response.

Any suggestions from the expericenced Commissioners?

Hi Gold Winger,

Coming from some experience with packs, I can say that unfortunately, it is more common than we might wish for the CM (or CC, or pick your other post) to do double duty as a CM too. No, this is not ideal. But it is also pretty typical.

As for "whining for a UC". If they're asking, please take them seriously. They may not know what the true job of a UC is, because they may never have had one before who actually did the job. But at least they are asking. Make this a positive instead of a negative. Be the best "friend to the unit" that you can be.

This may mean that you need to explain that laser tag is not an approved activity. But, on the other hand, if they haven't met you, don't yet trust you, and definitely don't know you, I'm not surprised if they also don't pay a lot of attention to your emails. You'll need to develop a relationship with them in person before they even begin to see you as an asset. And, if they've had fly by night UCs in the past, they may be waiting to see how long you last before giving much credence to your advice.

I hate to say it. But my personal experience with UCs, and the experiences I hear from the vast majority of others in my area, leads me to the conclusion that most UCs don't know what the heck they're talking about and/or see the job as something bestowed upon them due to their longevity. There are notable exceptions and Gold Winger, I'm sure you're among those exceptions. But you may have some hurdles to overcome that are not of your own making. So instead of talking about "rogue units" right off the bat, I suggest you take some time to get to know the units to which you've been assigned, and let them get to know you. That way they'll be a lot more likely to take your advice seriously.

My other unit is great. Energetic and trained leaders. Willing to talk. Well funded. Good recruiting. Etc Yada-yada.

The first group with the comment, "I have a life so I can't be bothered" is a worrisome comment.

I did explain that laser tag is not approved and I supplied the appropriate citation from G2SS.

I have a feeling that they might be a pack like that run by a Cubmaster of my acquaintance. Rules were for other packs. The cubmaster was one of those that felt that fun took precedence over all else. Cart the boys in the back of a pick-up, sure it's fun. Canoeing. It's fun. It turned out that the boys in his pack were given the AOL but hadn't done the work. Why bother? it was boring.

I'll keep trying but if they keep ignoring me . . . well, I have a life too and another pack to worry about.

Yah, Gold Winger.

One of da things they should have covered in your training is that you are a guest of the unit, not the boss.

How many guests walk into someone's house and right off the bat tell them that their living room looks ugly and has bad Feng Shui? Not exactly da behavior of a first-time guest, eh?

Lay off the judgments. Put da G2SS and everything else back on your shelf. Go visit and say nothing. Your job as a commish is to begin by listenin' and observin'. Yeh ain't allowed to make anything more than a positive comment for the first couple of months. As a guest, yeh complement the host on the meal even if it's burnt to a cinder.

Only after yeh become a friend can you offer suggestions that will be accepted. And then yeh have to limit it to one suggestion at a time. What's the one thing right now which will do the most to help this unit out and make its program stronger? I bet it ain't Laser Tag, or even that the CM and den leader are the same.

It can feel good to brag about what you know and tell them to do all kinds of stuff and not to do other stuff. But yeh won't accomplish a lick of good. They can just say "go away annoying little man, you are no longer a welcome guest." Or just not return your phonecalls, eh?

So put your books away, hold your tongue, and call the CM. You started by burning your bridges with the CC, so reach out to the CM as a friend and go visit. Behave like a guest. Observe and learn. Only when yeh have found da packs 10 greatest strengths and everyone on the committee greets yeh with a smile by name are you allowed to comment on their first weakness.

Beavah

Gold Winger,

Beavah has nailed it again.

My Troop has issues, heck, I have issues, we're working on them.

Part of fixing some of them might call for seeking out the help of a UC.

But using Beavah's analogy. I'm unplugging the toilet, repairing/replacing the showers and sinks, and trading the fuse box for a breaker box and upgrading the wiring before I call in outside help for the things I don't know. (Which shouldn't be confused with whining that I need outside help). If I call looking for help with the flooring and you cruise in and start trashing the house about how it's dusty and there are still spider webs. Well, you would probably be seen as someone who may clearly see those things but can't see what the house needs most and where I can spend my (time)budget for the most bang. And will be ignored until I reach the point you have identified as your area of expertise - critical looks at the details.

Like Beavah says, walk around check out the house look at the possibilities. find out what my (time)budget allows for. Find out what the units vision is. If they don't have one maybe see if you can help develop that once you know what and WHOM you are dealing with. But if the unit leaders don't know you, you may be heard but probably won't be listened to. Become one of us, rather than "the expert" - you know the definition of an expert right? The guy from out of town who just left making more in two weeks than you did this quarter to tell you how much better you could be doing - but won't be joining in the work.

Even contractors budget each projects time to fit it in, in the most efficient manner. Dust and Spider webs are definitely after the floor is in, but usually before the finish is put on.

Not that GSS issues are Dust and Spider webs but then have you shaken any of those leaders hands yet? Had a cup of coffee or a soda? Who are you to them? WHY should they listen to you?

I had a similar issue with phone calls not being returned by one of my unit leaders, so I simply started showing up at their meetings, and asked if it was OK to observe. Never once was told no...

Being a nameless/faceless person who "administers" from afar is easy.

Be more than just electrons on the screen or a name on a message pad. Be a face. Get into the trenches with them. I think you'll do a lot to repair the damage and get into a position where you can learn from each others experiences.

I may be a guest but without me they can't get the "Centenial Quality Unit Award." :-)

Repair damage? I'm not the one who said, "we need help" and then when I called said "I can't be bothered" doesn't really sound like they want help.

Its like when your neighbor asks if you can help move a piano so you ask when he wants to move it so you can arrange your schedule but he won't tell you and then complains to the other neighbors that you won't help him.

So the sage advice here is that I let a unit that is in trouble do things that continue to put the unit and the CO at risk without saying anything? Interesting.

To go along with the "guest in a house" metaphor. If you were invited to a friend's house for dinner and smelled gas, would you not say anything because you are a guest or would you warn your friend that his home was in danger?

It sounds like you might keep quiet and leave at the first opportunity.

The problem with all analogies is that they are imperfect and can be taken too far. Laser tag is neither spider webs nor gas, although both of those descriptions do help illuminate how different people look at the situation.

We've recently beat the insurance question almost to death, and while I am not a lawyer, I don't believe that laser tag is putting the unit nor the CO at risk. But seeing as how you do/did believe that, I can understand why you'd want to speak up.

But to take your other point - on doing double-duty - you "explained that this wasn't a good thing to do." Really, I don't want my UC coming in and telling me how not to do things. I agree with you that it's not ideal to do double-duty, but if I were a UC, I'm not sure this is the first thing I'd fix. In fact, I don't think I'd try to fix anything unless they asked me to.

You said they've been whining that they need a commissioner. Do you know who specifically has been asking for one? Have you talked with that person about what they'd like a UC to do?

I'm going to bet that they could just go buy the Centennial Award patch without your approval, so that's probably not it. :-)

" while I am not a lawyer, I don't believe that laser tag is putting the unit nor the CO at risk."

I'm not a lawyer either but from what I understand is that BSA protects itself pretty well. Its also been my experience from other organizations that if you break rules that are laid out in black and white and something bad happens, you are left dangling. So imagine this --- Johnny pokes out Jimmy's eye while they are laser tagging. In today's world, accidents aren't accidents so the lawyers get called. BSA says "they ignore our rules so we aren't responsible" so the lawyers go after the owner of the unit which is the CO.

The Dist Commish said that the CC has been whining about not having a commissioner since the last one quit a couple years back ago and no one else would take the assignment. I foolishly thought I could help. This is the same CC who can't be bothered to take the time to meet with me.

On the other hand...

Lets say the unit goes off and does the Laser Tag thing and something untoward happens. The CO is sued, and the CC looks to the District for help. She says, you know, we sent our new commissioner Gold Winger a schedule and Laser Tag was on it, if its against the rules, why didnt he tell us?

I may be a guest but without me they can't get the "Centenial Quality Unit Award." :-)

And this is just a guess on my part, but they may not care about earning CQUA! Consequently this is not a very big stick to shake at them, IMO. I think CQUA is important, I think it helps units set benchmarks and goals, I know for a fact my DE desperately wants units to earn it, etc., but I also know a number of leaders who have told me in blunt terms that they have other fish to fry. Not being capable of running all of their units for them, I have to respect their view. And then work with them where I can. (Which might result in them earning the darn thing anyway!)

GW, maybe you're venting here and that's useful too sometimes. But I get the impression from your comments that you are approaching this unit as a disciplinarian. You aren't going to get far at all that way, as you're already discovering. There are some safety issues and it is kind of unfortunate that you found yourself confronted with the laser tag issue right up front. This is indeed out of bounds as per the G2SS and I think you were within your rights to tell them that. They might choose to do it anyway but if for some reason a problem occurs, at least you can say you told them.

But, having found something right away that you felt compelled to contradict or criticize, I think you have to work that much harder to show them you're really their friend and not someone who just shows up to tell them they're "doing it wrong!" So please, start looking for ways to do that. One fellow I know who is a well-regarded UC shows up to each event with a "goodie" for the unit. It might be an informational flyer about an upcoming district or council activity, or a head's up that cub resident camp registration is starting next week, or a connection to a local troop with someone who wants to be a den chief and needs a den, or whatever. He does a good job of following up too, bringing any awards, ribbons, patches, etc. that "his" packs may have accrued but not yet collected. But he's always welcome in his units because he brings value-added info to the leaders, and he does it with a smile. (And this gives him an avenue of entry if he sees something that needs to be changed, too.)

About just showing up...yes, if you showed up to one of our unit meetings we'd tell you we were happy to have you and of course you could stay, etc.. Just like if you showed up at my house at dinner time, I'd invite you in and feed you. But I surely would prefer it if you called in advance and asked whether it would be ok! If the unit leaders aren't returning your calls, try again. Maybe you caught them at a bad time. Only pop in out of the blue as an absolute last resort, IMO. I don't think this will endear you to them.

Good luck to you, GW! Being a UC is one tough job and I admire that you're giving it your all.

Yah, GoldWinger, Lisabob pretty much said everything I was thinkin'. Only thing I'd adjust is that rather than make a stink about LaserTag (honestly, more cubs get hurt running around at pack meetings), one of da "goodies" I might have brought is G2SS. I suspect they've never seen the thing. I wouldn't comment on it, I'd just leave a few copies for the CC, CM and such.

Now, you'll forgive me for goin' into "lecture mode", but since bein' correct about things like Laser Tag is important to you, I have to point out somethin' you're not understanding well and are passing along as bad information.

BSA General Liability Insurance Covers Chartered Organizations... ALWAYS. BSA General Liability Insurance covers registered adult leaders almost always (if yeh molest a kid you might be on your own). Insurance exists because we all make mistakes, do dumb things, don't read all the books, make errors in judgment, or are just plain asses sometimes. If insurance didn't cover us in those circumstances, it would be worthless.

This is really important for you as a commissioner to understand, eh? Telling people that the BSA Insurance will not cover them does real damage to the BSA and to Scouting. When we market the program to our Chartered Partners and adult leaders, the general liability protection is one of our key marketing pieces. We want them to be put at ease and trust that when bad happens, for whatever reason, we will be there! That's how we get and keep units. That's how we recruit and keep adult leaders. There is nothing in any official BSA training or unit commissioner material anywhere that says "xxx will put the CO or unit leader at personal risk". Nothing.

So please don't be dishonest with our customers.

Beavah

"BSA General Liability Insurance Covers Chartered Organizations... ALWAYS."

Really? I found this at the Mt. Diablos-Silverado Council's Website, http://www.bsa-mdsc.org/hslllawsuits.php

Intentional and criminal acts are not covered by the General Liability Insurance. Although criminal acts are fairly obvious, and we hope not a problem, intentional acts might need some explanation.Among other things, an intentional act would include conducting activities that are not authorized by the BSA or conducting activities in a manner contrary to the safety guidelines of the BSA. In these cases, the Boy Scouts of America covers volunteers only "at will." A leader, who intentionally acts contrary to BSA policy or guidelines, may find they are not backed by the Boy Scouts of America.

Some unauthorized BSA activities include: paint ball, all-terrain-vehicles, martial arts, varsity football, jet skis, go carts, parasailing and bungee jumping. These are exciting and usually legal activities and it is easy to understand how an enthusiastic new volunteer, with a passion for these sports, might want to include them in scouting. However, they are not authorized! The Guide to Safe Scouting is the source for all authorized scouting activities and safety guidelines. It has the complete list of all the activities that are unauthorized. The Guide is revised periodically, and it is important to review the most current edition."