A new patrol was formed tonight

Hello,

our fresh troop formed the first patrol tonight: six girls, two boys.

That''s my army now...

The youth co-ordinator in our parish told me that this is a typical mixture for our city, to have more girls than boys.

I just spoke on the phone with the SM of a troop in the next larger city and she said that in her patrol it''s just the other way around: six boys and only two girls.

Well, let''s see what we''re up to and let''s hope that the kids will start recruiting some friends.

The troopnight went well, though, everybody participated nicely in the games and even the parents seemed satisfied.

best regards,

Volker

Hi Lisabob,

the kids are between 10 and 12 years old.

They have not previous scouting experience so all are at the same level now which I think is a good way to start their training in woodsmanship.

The largest regional newspaper dropped in yesterday with a reporter and photographer team to document our first troopnight.

Altogether, I''m quite happy with the situation and let''s see how happy they are going to be with the program.

You can watch our blog for further updates: www.frederickselous.blogspot.com

I''ll scan and upload the newspaper article as soon as it was in the papers.

best regards,

Volker

Congrats Slouchhat,

Starting a new unit, regardless of where you are in the world, is a big enterprise. Good luck and have fun, or as we spell it in our district, PHUN!

By the way, love the blog, too bad I can''t read it...LOL

Hello,

thanks a lot.

I''ll try to make our upcoming website a little more international.

I got a phone call from the SM of a troop some villages over who offered me to transfer a patrol of five 14/15 year olds who live in a hamlet close by to my troop. He says they are nominally in his care, but that, in fact, they are too remotely located for him and much closer to my gang so he would rather lose some scouts and see them being taken care of than letting them struggle on with him nearly unable to provide the needed leadership.

So if the boys agree, I might end up with an instant new patrol...

best regards,

Volker