Counselor in Training - How does your camp do it?

That is to say, how do they train the Scouts to be counselors?

Do they train them with a seasoned staff member, or do they just say "here is your tent, don't miss colors, and we'll see you on the course"?

Thanks

OGO(This message has been edited by OldGrayOwl)

My son is a CIT at present at Camp Indian Trails, Glaciers Edge council, outside of Janesville WI. He was home yesterday for the first time since starting his duties as a CIT last sunday, 6-24-07. He told me that he rotated between 2 program areas each day, and was instructed by counselors in each area and has to carry out tasks assigned by them to familiarize himself with the material being presented as well as any work such as clean up or breaking out supplies.

He is quartered in a 4 man cabin that he has to himself as he is the sole CIT at present. the cabin has 4 bunks and some shelving and electrical outlets and lighting. Meals are taken in the camp dining hall, and the evening meal requries field uniform (complete) to be worn by campers as well as staff.

He must complete one week of Boy Scout summer camp, a session of Camp Akela and one week of Cub Scout day camp to complete his CIT agreement with the council.

If his service is found to be satisfactory, he will be offered a position in next years camp as a counselor at a rate of pay he feels would be adequate. The exact amount I am not at liberty to say, but I do know that while a CIT, he recieves $25.00 per week in trading post credit...he said last night there is some "cool" things in the TP he plans to get with his credits.

My son is 15 now and will be 16 this Dec. I believe he will be of the minimum age for youth staff next year. I am very proud of him taking this program on and for looking ahead to next years employment as a counselor. He has also taken junior climbing instructor training in our council and hopes to be able to work in that area when and if he becomes a full counselor.

hope this helps OGO, YiS Will Kirchmayer

Both of my sons have done CIT.

Son #1 did a week at Camp Mattatuck in Connecticut. He was eligible after spending a week there with the troop. During his CIT week (which cost about 1/2 the normal resident camp fee), he was rotated through the 5 different program areas, one area each morning, pretty much learning from the seasoned staff how to work that area, including the mundane stuff. The afternoons were free to pursue additional merit badges. At the end of the week, he was evaluated by the camp director, which was beneficial for both the son and the camp director. Because his performance was satisfactory, he was invited to return the rest of the summer to work as a full-time CIT (sans pay, but also sans cost) in a mutually agreeable area. The next year, he was eligible to be a regular staffer, and having gone through the CIT program put him 1 notch higher on the pay scale. (The second year, he chose to work in the dining hall.)

Son #2 had spent 1 year at Camp Tadma (a cub scout camp, also in Connecticut) as an "adopted" staff kid ("adopted" by a family friend who was running the BB range). The next year, he did a week of CIT at Camp Tadma, then another week of CIT at Camp Mattatuck. He eventually decided that he liked the camaraderie of the Cub Scout staff better. He wound up on the waterfront, and has gone back there for the past 3 years. He's earned BSA Lifeguard and is now the #3 person on the waterfront staff.

The life lessons both boys have learned as a result of CIT and staffing are priceless. The sense of commitment to others, to the task at hand, the sense of teamwork, and sense of loyalty to the camp are remarkable.

I think the hardest part was on my wife and me (especially my wife), because we only saw the boys about 24 hours a week - and then it was to do laundry and hang out with their friends. It's tough letting them grow up sometimes.

My son is working CIT at Camp La-No-Che in Paisley Florida. He is receiving his lifeguard training and must work 2 weeks on the waterfront. There is no charge for camp or food, but he does have to pay $40.00 for CPR certification. He is staying in a old canvas tent on a wood platform with 2 cots in it. He is staying with another boy from our troop. It is over 100 degrees in the heat of the day and very humid. CIT is put in the small 2 person tents while other staff under 18 stay in the more roomy 4 person cabin tents with electric hook up. Staff over 18 sleep in air conditioned cabins. My son likes it because it is a little cooler at night.