I re-read this thread after returning from summer camp. I, too, have and have had my share of over-protective parents that won't volunteer for anything but show up immediately if they perceive their son has received some slight of has been overlooked for something. I can deal with that. But, what really gets me are those that think I do Scouting as my full time job and have all the free time in the world.

An example from our family night at summer camp. We had quite a crowd this year and all the families were asked to bring something for our meal. One Mom did a great job of coordinating with all the families so we didn't wind up with a table full of cookies.

After our formal assembly, we headed for our campsite. The boys had already set up tables and all the food was put out. Then, everyone just sat around. Husband got the charcoal started for burgers and proceeded to cook them. Everyone else just sat around.

I began to open up containers and did ask two of the Moms to help. Well, the response I got from one of them was unbelievable. She proceeded to tell me how she just got off work early and went to the store to pick up cups and plates (because she's so busy that's really all she could possibly contribute to family night) and then drove two hours and then stood in the sun and heat during the assembly and she just needed to sit down and rest.

What the heck? And I've just been sitting around in air conditioning sipping beverages for the past four days?

I can deal with the overachieving parents, the helicopter parents, but it really burns me to get such lack of appreciation for the work we as leaders do for other people's children.

As for my husband cooking the burgers - yes, he's been at camp for four days too. Finally one of the Dad's came over, grabbed the spatula and said to my husband "I think you should take a break, have something to eat and relax, you've been working hard this week."

You know I gotta say that as a Scout we never never had parents come to meetings unless it was a COH. With my current troop some parents do stay because some have 20 to 30 minute drives one way and it is not feasible to come drop/return retrieve for a 90 minute meeting, which is fully understandable at $3 a gallon. However, any parent is welcome to come to meetings BUT the troop is the boys and the boys are the sole reason for it's existence. In other words, firmly but politely, watch with the eyes and not the mouth.

• 2 weeks later...

I think there is some magic, unspoken creedo that Scoutmasters have. We want to "save them all" and give scouting to the widest swath of boys we can. Unfortunately that means we have to put up with these attack helicopters from time to time. Recently I've had my share. My little troop increased in size by 30%. I had boys from 4 different Packs, along with their parents, join our troop. What a job, getting all of them indoctrinated. I had two separate parents start the second guessing/attack helicopter move. I got a bit frustrated at first, but realized they hadn't been properly trained and therefore had no real idea of why the troop was being run the way it was.

I was able to talk one father into taking training, including Wood Badge. Boy did that ever change him. The second fater/wife combo declared that they had been trained enough and knew more about EVERYTHING than anyone else. Constant pressure does indeed work, several months of nudging "you should take training", "wouldn't training have helped in this situation", "well, my training tells me...", "At Woodbadge, we teach...". They're both signed up in the fall. My life is going to get much better.

Back to your original question. My CC, my ASM's, my wife, my Commish, my DE...they're all my backup and the sounding board I use to vent my frustrations and concerns. Of course, a good ADULT ONLY Weekend is good therapy and a nice break from time to time. My self, I prefer Vegas...ha!