I keep reading about the Chartering Org and their responsibilties. In my expierence the vast majority of units are formed and stay active because of the youth and parents commitment to Scouting and then with that they find a CO to sponser them. For Example the Pack that I just left had to find a new chartering org. because its previous CO dissolved. I'm thinking that the BSA has not considered this. I'm sure it is not always so but am wondering how often it truely is the case. It seems to me that when an organization determines that the Scouting program fits their adgenda for their youth that it will also take youth and parental interest to make it a successful program.

Yah, Brotherhood, no question, eh?

Scouting depends most of all on the fine men and women who choose to step forward as Scoutmasters and ASMs. After that, it depends on the parents and the boys for their interest and hard work. Just like da soccer leagues and such, though, it also depends on the league administration and on the folks who own the buildings and fields.

In the BSA, the parent-only programs don't tend to have the same activity level or lifetime as those that have some real CO "ballast". Parents move on, and sometimes different parents have very different notions of what they want for their kid, eh?

Everybody plays their role. What irks me is that sometimes the execs don't want active CO's, because active CO's can control council operations. Keep da CO's in the dark and an SE has a free hand.

Beavah