5th Grade Den Visits

For our troop we encourage the 5th grade dens that we recruit from to visit us for an outing and at a meeting. I wanted to see if this was normal? Also what do your troops do at the meetings that the dens visit? In the past we have talked to the parents about how important scouting is and how our troop is flexible as far as attendance and payment for activities goes. We also discuss our calendar, fundraisers, and how we expect them to participate in the troop.

With the scouts we tend to give them a tour of our meeting area, troop trailor, equipment room, and play a game with them. I don't really think this is effective. I think that some may be getting bored when doing this. Let me know some of your ideas.

Thanks

We use a 2-pronged approach. We usually don't get 100% participation from all the Webelos families at both, but we usually get everyone to attend at least one. That gives us two chances to get our message across.

The first approach is to schedule one of our monthly outdoors events as a day hike. We find a relatively challenging trail that the cubs have not been on and take them (and their parents) there. We try to find one that has multiple alternatives so that we can adjust the length of the hike depending upon the endurance and enthusiasm.

We make sure that the cubs carry their own backpacks (a school backpack) with water, their mess kit (most everyone has one), poncho, etc. The troop hikes with full packs (sans tents). The troop helps the cubs prepare backpack-style lunch on the trail. We also make sure that the cubs help carry the lunch. We always have topo maps of the area we're hiking, along with compasses.

What the cubs experience: the adventure of a trail that is far more interesting than "hike around your community" or "follow a bike trail". Backpacking stoves are always a hit. Map and compass is always fun - even learning to follow a blazed trail. We get to teach and practice hiking etiquette and safety, maybe string a rope to help in steep sections, and practice LNT. There's good bonding that occurs between the troop and the cubs - everyone benefits from the personal association.

The boys handle all of the visible arrangements: greeting cubs, assigning cubs to transportation, pairing each cub with 1 or 2 boy scouts, leading the hike, preparing lunch, etc. The adults (troop and cubs) always bring up the rear. This gives us a chance to chat with the parents on an adult level, and the parents get to observe the boys' interactions. This has proven to be a "winner".

The second prong is to invite the cubs and their parents to a TYPICAL troop meeting - NOT a COH (boring to a cub - no "hands-on"). After the opening ceremony, an ASM and I take the parents to another meeting room where we can discuss the ins and outs of pack vs. troop, our troop philosophies and practices, finances, uniforms (we are 100%), organization, advancement, parental involvement, etc.

Meanwhile, the cubs are being engaged in a fun meeting without parental oversight (other than a monitoring by 2 or 3 ASMs). This is not a "dumbed-down" meeting, but one that will be accessible to the cubs while also permitting the troop to further their own skills.

We return the parents to the boys' meeting in time for the closing circle. The smiles on the cubs' faces tell a lot.

This works for us. Your mileage may vary.