personally mailed a copy of the 2006 Recruiting and Retention Tools packet. In

addition to the recruiter's patch and the recruiting video, there is also a DVD

with each of the Tenderfoot, Second Class and First Class skills videos now

available on the National web site. One can play them from the DVD, make

copies of the DVD to give out, download individual skill items to an iPod for

podcasting, etc.

This should be a powerful new tool for skill instruction, and by that, for

improving program and enjoyment of Scouting by youth and adults in Boy

Scouting. And that should give better membership and better retention.

Copies of this should also very soon be available at local council offices.

Best wishes,

Neil Lupton

I was going to post something very unkind about how the guys in Texas finally found out that not everything has to be on VHS.

I suppose by the time we get around to having anything for Sea Scouts it will be a pod-cast?

Eamonn.

Fellow Scouters,

Greetings!

This does sound like good news!

Previously in the National Supply Center catalog and the online scoutstuff.org site, there were VHS tapes related to the advancement program. I can appreciate that they were professionally made, but at nearly 20-25 dollars for a fifteen minute video per rank. Ouch! I'm not sure how many Pack and Troop libraries were filled with these videos.

It seems these same videos have been added to the National webpage, at least Tenderfoot thru First Class ranks, so they do help as a resource. I don't count on too many Scouts and Tenderfoots viewing them and I don't believe these short videos are capable of being downloaded. So the SM and ASMs need to view those clips and take some of the practices to the Troop meeting.

But with the good news NeilLup is sharing, hopefully we can bring a small portable DVD player to meetings and campouts. If nothing more than repetition of what their PL's and TG's have taught.

Regarding Venturing and SeaScouts, there is a pretty good Venturing Fast Start (for sale) on DVD, but it is now online at the National website. Also the Venturing recruiting VHS video "Hanging Out" (I haven't seen it on DVD, but it is online on a few Venturing unit websites) SeaScouting has an online video "Chart a Course for Life".

Beyond Seascouts, I would certainly be excited to see short videos demonstrating skills achievements in all five of the Bronze Awards, then Gold and Silver Awards. We may have to wait a while, but I'd expect videos such as these would stimulate a lot of thought with our Crews and Ships.

Hopefully what Neil has said is correct, and these DVDs are going to all SMs (and not just a council base program)!

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

(This message has been edited by Crew21_Adv)

I'm a fairly hip cat and I think technology is the bee's knees. I've even been known to program a VCR back in the day. Maybe I'm missing something here. Wouldn't it be better for boys to teach other boys the skills they need under the watchful eye of adult leadership instead of playing a video for them?

• 2 weeks later...