Well it is a beautiful day here, sunny, not too warm (yet), and I'm getting ready to go hiking with four or five eager young scouts. We'll be doing a five mile map and compass hike at one of my favorite state parks. The trail crosses a river, goes through an old pine forest, includes an area where several species of frogs are sure to be found (what boy won't like that) and is generally a nice walk.

Gotta keep these kinds of events in mind when the all that adult wrangling gets us down! This is the part of scouting I love.

Lacing up my hiking shoes...

Lisa'bob

I wish there more posts like this one. I suppose we don't normally post the ordinary everyday fun we have, since there isn't much of a question, or even a story, to be related. But I'm inspired. I think I may go take a hike.

Oak Tree

Thanks for the inspiring post, Lisa'bob! Isn't this the reason we have our boys in Scouting anyway? As they say, if it ain't for the boys, it ain't worth doing!

Sounds corny, but personally I like Den meetings! When we have a Monday night that our den doesn't meet, I miss them! I just really like being with these boys - they're learning great Scouting things and having a blast doing it! I like being silly with an opening game or exercise - I like coming up with fun activities that go along with the monthly theme - I like making a Character Connection at the end of every den meeting. My son is having a terrific time in Scouts, and we are, too!

clyde

*grin* I like pack meetings.

Last week I tried the "digging in the dirt" award ceremony. I covered our crossing over bridge with a brown table cloth and hid a bucket of dirt, a tin box of awards and a shovel behind it. For the awards I "dug" a hole, piling the dirt with the shovel on the table cloth. Went through the whole song and dance about maps and buried treasure and caches. "hit" something and pulled up a tin box and brushed the dirt off it

Later, after the meeting I heard one of the older(!) boys, as he helped clean up, exclaim in a puzzled voice, "Hey, where'd the hole go?"

I love hiking!

Our second Pack summer event is going out to Stone Mountain Park next Saturday for the National Trails Day event, hosted by the Georgia Appalachian Trail Club and American Hiking Society.

The event includes educational exhibits, gear demonstrations and hiking presentations. Speakers include AT thru-hikers and gear demonstrations by Geared To Go. The topics cover just about everything:

Backpacking 101

What's in your Daypack

Choosing a backpack

Water treatment options

Choosing a sleep system

Choosing cookwear

Choosing a tent

Choosing footweat

Backcountry cooking

Also includes trail maintenance and Leave No Trace.

And of course, hikes up and around the mountain. They are even providing bottled water, compliments of Blue Ridge Mountain Water. With a little cooperation from Mother Nature, this should be a great event!