Feeder Pack and Troop Relations

Everybody here makes some good points. Thank you Lisabob for present what is probably a common view from the Pack perspective. Our Pack had similar issues with our brother Troop (I prefer to think of the Pack/Troop as brothers instead of a "feeder" relationship). For the 3 years I was CM I tried to get den chiefs and there was no interest. And it wasn't just Den Chief. The troop simply didn't want anything to do w/ the pack. In 3 years only 4 boys bridged over to the Troop at all and only two of them have stayed. 1 year the 2 Web II's were treated miserably by the Troop and when it came time for their AoL they didn't want the troop to be involved in any fashion.

However, things are getting better. Both of the boys who have stayed are now serving as Den Chiefs to the Pack. One is a new Star Scout and the other is my 2nd Class Scout. We have no Webs this year (we do have 2 Bears as our oldest Cubs), so it will be a couple of years before the Troop sees anything coming back from the Pack besides Den Chiefs w/ leadership experience.

Relations between Pack and Troop are a two-way, year-round street. The Pack does not exist simply to fill the Troop, nor does the Troop exist simply to support the Troop. They both exist to best serve their portion of the young males that choose them. Just because a Pack and a Troop share a CO doesn't mean the Cubs feel a loyalty to a bunch of older boys they don't know. And that isn't a relationship that should be put off being built. Eventually those Tigers and Wolves will be 2nd year Webelos. If you want them to come to you then you need to come to them...frequently.

Pack adult leadership needs to remember that if they have an upcoming need for the Troop they need to let the Troop know well in advance. The Troop needs to remember that if they want the Cubs to join them at an activity, adult leadership needs to know well in advance as well. But, Pack leadership should also try to remember who does most of the planning of Troop activities and be willing to cut them some slack about advanced notice...Teenage boys are still learning the traits of good and responsible leaders.

YiS

Michelle

Lisabob,

I did want to thank you for your comments.

As you can see in my last post; I believe that we (the Troop) have tried to foster good relationships with the local Pack, by providing Den Chiefs, providing service to them in the form of helping with events and campouts, and inviting them on at least two joint outings with the Troop each year.

I think the shocker for our Committee is simply the fact that no one in the past had ever considered driving to another town to take their son to another Troop. After much time our Committee now understands that this is more normal than we are used to in small town America.

Thanks for your comments regarding the things that Troops and Packs can do to help. It would help if we all (Packs & Troops) could follow what you suggest more consistantly.

ASM59

SWScouter,

I think you are absolutely correct. The younger Webelos look up to the Boy Scouts. I always encourage our boys to pay attention to the Webelos on our outings and make them feel welcome. When doing Activity Pins for the Webelos, our SPL has in the past assigned a Boy Scout to each Webelos to help make them feel welcome and to build a relationship. After all, I believe it is all about relationships. Even if a Troop gets a boy from a Pack, he'll never stay without building relationships and feeling like he belongs.

Thanks for your perspective.

ASM59

A bit late, but I want to chime in on a few points...

ASM59, you said that the troop committee didn't want to support the Pack after the disappointment at the B&G. This really jumped out at me, and I think is also the impetus for Dan's comments. You make it clear that you did not feel this way, but it certainly sounds as if your committee felt that they were entitled to receive these boys as members. As if some contract had been established between Pack and Troop -- a marriage pre-arranged.

Several replies have emphasized that Webelos are encouraged to visit several troops. So true. The Webelos program encourages it, and a sensible den leader recognizes that different boys may find their "best fit" troops in different places. I know that my Webelos went to three different troops.

Congratulations on rising to the challenge and enticing this year's crop into your Troop.

The Pack leaders told you that the boys chose the other troop. But it sounds like that story didn't ring true, especially given the outcome of this year, when the den leader was pushing them to a different troop, but in the absence of that effort, they ended up choosing yours. Questionable motives aside, however, what these Pack leaders described is exactly what you want for those Webelos. Let me explain:

The very best result of the last part of the Webelos program is that the scout sees several different troops and chooses for himself the one that is the best fit. If the scout himself doesn't catch that spark of enthusiasm for a specific troop, then some other factors can become helpful, such as staying with a group of friends or choosing a troop where the parents will be more supportive.

But having a boy self-identify a "best-fit" troop based on what he sees and how he feels when he spends time with them is the very best we can hope for. No matter which troop that turns out to be.

Again, good job focusing on the boys and working to light that spark with them.

Fling...

Thanks for your comments, I understand (only because of my involvement in these forums) that it is normal and healthy for Webelos to be allowed to explore their options. I was extremely disappointed by our committee on this matter. I really believe they see things differently now. Our core adult leadership are friends outside of Scouting and involved in the same Church (not our CO). I really believed that if I stood my ground that they would come around and they did.

Now that I think about it, it is more important to me that these adults have changed their way of thinking than it is that the boys decided to join our Troop. Having both is a great bonus!

ASM59