Chartered Organization Responsibilities

I am having my first ever meeting with the Head of our Chartered Organization to talk about CO and Troop's responsibilities and expectations.

I am new SM, but have been on Committee for a couple of years. Never met anyone from CO nor have I seen any support from them, other than providing us with a meeting place. From postings I've seen here, and info gleaned from training, SM handbook and other sources, I think the CO should be doing much more to help out our Troop.

Advice?

Before meeting, please read over the Chartered Organization Agreement to understand what the CO has agreed to do.

http://www.netcommish.com/AnnualCharterAgreement.doc

I would strongly suggest that you approach this topic from the standpoint of what the unit may be able to do for the CO, or how the two of you can work together in areas that can be mutually beneficial, rather than what the CO should be doing for you...'ask not what your CO can do for you, but...'

Many COs are not willing to commit to any level of participation or support beyond what is called for in the CO Agreement, while others are truly committed to going above and beyond. You will need to feel your CO out on that matter and build the relationship over time. Increased CO participation and support usually begins with your unit reaching out to the CO to be of service in some manner. Your meeting is an important first step in a long hike together.

Is North Side Baptist Church your CO? There are many ways to serve Church COs - grounds maintenance and beautification projects, event setup/teardown, joint service opportunities, scout sunday promotion, etc., etc.(This message has been edited by SemperParatus)

Our unit found that the more effort we put into building and maintaining a relationship with our CO, the better things were for everyone. There was a time when the CO membership resented "those Boy Scout people coming in and using our building, our electricity, and our stuff". They wanted to charge the troop rent like any other outside group.

I'd suggest a few things: become a member of your CO, do a couple of service projects per year for them, help out at their events, activities, and fundraisers, appear before the CO board or committee periodically and give a breif report on the doings of the troop.

It's really good news that you are meeting with the CO.

Many of us Scouter types would be overjoyed if the CO took a more active role in the Scouting program. We do need to remember that we are only a small part of the Organization that is helping us. I read the Church Newsletter from my church and there are so many different things going on and a lot of different groups doing them.

I asked our priest why there was never any news about the Scouting programs in the newsletter? He didn't waste a second and replied that they never hand in any news.

Developing a good relationship with he CO as an organization is a must. I found the best way of going about this was on a personal basis.

When I was Cubmaster I asked why our COR wasn't attending Pack Committee meetings? The reason was he was never invited. I seen the benefits of having him on "Our side" and wanted him to go to the Parish Council Meetings and do what he could for us, so I went out of my way to get to know him. Once we got to know each other and became friends we were both on the same side.

Going along with FScouter you might do well to remember the words of President John F. Kennedy

and the January 20, 1961 Inaugural Address:

" So let us begin anew--remembering on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness, and sincerity is always subject to proof. Let us never negotiate out of fear. But let us never fear to negotiate. Let both sides explore what problems unite us instead of belaboring those problems which divide us."

" And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.

Finally, whether you are citizens of America or citizens of the world, ask of us here the same high standards of strength and sacrifice which we ask of you. With a good conscience our only sure reward, with history the final judge of our deeds, let us go forth to lead the land we love, asking His blessing and His help, but knowing that here on earth God's work must truly be our own.

I really feel that the sentiments expressed in that speech could go a very long way in helping us do God's work through the Scouting Programs

Eamonn.

Thanks for all the suggestions. NSBC is our CO and meeting place. Over the years the Troop has done some small service projects for the church, but I would like to see more. We've offered several times, but haven't had much luck.

The church recently asked us to take over the basement of the building we've been using for our meetings. The building is separate from the church and is also used for Sunday School and other groups. The Scouts were very excited about having a place of their own and jumped right in cleaning it up, painting and repairing. They have plans to paint a mural on one wall. So happy to see the Scouts enthusiasm and spirit.

Am really looking forward to meeting with CO and agree, I need to focus the meeting on what the Scouts can do for the Church and hope to establish a good strong link between the CO and the Troop.

They have already agreed to let us post flyers about joining the troop in the entry way to the church - it's progress.

Had first meeting with Chartered Org yesterday. What a difference it can make to meet with someone face-to-face. Church will begin to work with us in finding service projects for Scouts to do. They have posted the Troop's flyer to encourage new membership. The are also willing to put news of the Troop in the monthly bulletin if we send them a small write up and some action photos. At the end of our meeting, COR said if there was anything he could help with administratively with our Troop to let him know.

Weeee, what a wonderful beginning!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions on how to approach this meeting.