SM assuming committee functions

acco40 wrote:

I wonder, I may have saved the troop $150 but in the process reinforced the idea that "the SM will take of it" that permeates many troops.

Acco, I agree that you reinforced that message. When I asked specific parents to take these committee responsibilities, and their answers were "no", there was no downside for them. Their sons still went on campouts, because the I took on the committee's work. At the time I viewed it as a necessary activity I had to do in order to let the boys experience scouting. The downside is you risk burning out, and then no one else in the troop has the knowledge or comfort level to take over without major hiccups.

There is a saying "Never do a job that a boy can do", because if an adult does it for him, he won't do it himself and won't have the experience of learning how. I was finally bold enough to extend that same philosophy to the committee. (Fate seemed to smile in that at the same time, a set of new paents whose sons joined the troop were willing to take the committee roles.)

From your perspective, you saved the troop $150. I would have done the same thing, but as you are beginning to wonder, it may not have been the best thing for the troop. I suspect that from the parents perspective they see that you saved them $5.00 (assuming 30 scouts on your outing). And to many of them, while they may appreciate keeping the $5.00 in their pocket, they wouldn't object to paying it rather than taking on the task themselves.

" When I asked specific parents to take these committee responsibilities, and their answers were "no",

Why are you asking?

This isn't your job.

Leave it to the nominating committee, that's what they are there for.

Eamonn.

"I wonder, I may have saved the troop $150 but in the process reinforced the idea that "the SM will take of it" that permeates many troops."

Another approach might be to make a phone call the night before to both the committee chair and the outdoor activities coordinator and say something like "We need to get registered for the camporee by tomorrow or it will cost us an extra $150. I'd be happy to take care of it for you, but I'm tied up until next week. Just thought I'd let you know."

Why are you asking?

This isn't your job.

Leave it to the nominating committee, that's what they are there for.

Agree - its not the SM's job. Speaking for myself, I have to say that I was a slow learner. I think it is the "helpful" trait expanded to the extent that it overflows into picking up any job that needs to be done. Call it a character flaw.

I raised the topic after I saw the post about another SM making reservations and collecting fees as I used to do; so I see that it wasn't just me that has/had this problem of taking on tasks that I shouldn't, so thought it worth discussing.

And I will add another benefit to any SM that is making campout arrangements - that time spent is time that could have been used having SM conferences with some of the scouts; or providing some coaching to the Jr. Leaders.