Boy leaders succeeding themselves

Elections for PLs and SPL are approaching in my son's troop, and one topic of discussion is whether the current SPL could (or should) be elected to serve another year.

I'm pretty sure about the "could" part--I'm not aware of any rule that says a boy leader can't serve successive terms if he's elected. Some of the adult leaders think there is some "rule" against this, but I don't think so.

The "should" part is a different story. Of course, the decision will be made by the boys, but there may be the need or opportunity to counsel the current SPL on whether to seek reelection. (Note: in this troop, the SPL serves for a full year, beginning in the fall and continuing through the summer. Summer camp is used as a transition period between the old and new SPL). Does anyone have experience with a boy serving continuously for two (or more) years as SPL? Is it too much to ask? Is the risk of burnout too great? Or does the greater experience lead to better leadership?

Our unit is a little different from the average unit since we are just a few weeks short of being a year old and started with all 11 year old boys. Our SPL and PL's serves a 6 month term. The SM has put a limit of 2 terms per PL and SPL in order for other boys to have an opportunity and to prevent burnout. The terms can be consecutive or apart depending on whether the boy wants to run. The SM has final say on who can be on the ballot. My son spent 6 months as a PL (when we only had one patrol and that made him the SPL in effect) and is finishing 6 months as the SPL. He says he will not put his name on the ballot so he can be "just" a scout for a change. Because of our young age as a troop, PL's must be at least a tenderfoot and the SPL must be at least 1st class. I'm sure that will change as our troop grows and our boys age. The problem is, the same boys who are now using up their term limits will be the same boys who will advance and be the only ones who meet the SM's requirements for running unless we keep the SPL at 1st class. That means you could have star and life scouts with an SPL of 1st class.

In our troop our "terms" are for six months. I've had SPLs serve for two consecutive terms, never three or more. I have had one serve for two terms, and then serve again at a later date.

In our troop I a few years ago when the oldest boy was only 12 I drew up a "troop positions" guide that listed general information, qualifications, responsibilities, chain of command, expectations, etc. Most had such adjectives as "desired", "recommended", etc. After a year, I asked the PLC if they wanted to amend it at all, example require a minimum rank, term limit, pre-reqs, etc. My suggestion to you is to let the PLC decide. As for timing, I would not make any changes right before an election but maybe soon afterward.

Our troop also has a recommended two term limit. But we also accept that this is a Boy Run troop. If after two terms a boy wished to and his peers want to elect him to the same position we will not stop it from happening. It hasn't.

Most of the time boys realize that others need to hold PORs. We have twice had a boy serve two terms. One was a PL one was an SPL. Both had done such good jobs that the boys wanted them again.