A positive editorial will soon be in print.

I posted this awhile back in response to a heated thread in issues. I had submitted it to the local paper, but hadn't heard back (twice). I spoke with our District Commissioner recently, and he asked me to try again. Yesterday the paper called; the following is getting printed sometime within the next two weeks:

Today my husband and I saw our sons off to school just as we do every day. We pray for their safety throughout the day after seeing that they have eaten well, and then we great them at the end of the day, glad to see them (until the homework battles begin, but life would be so dull without that!). One of their greatest responsibilities is school work as they are still rather young. We encourage this, applaud their efforts and praise their accomplishments, and challenge them to keep doing even better still. Scouting encourages academics, even enhances them by bringing much of what is learned in the classroom to life in ways too numerous to mention. When our sons head out to school, or even when visiting friends or exploring the wood and creek on our property, we know there is always the potential for them to meet someone who intends harm to them, youth or adult. We know they may meet up with those who use and sell drugs or those who carry/use weapons illegally. We teach them at home to look out for themselves, to protect each other, to be on the alert while still having fun, learning new things, and making friends. Scouting encourages independence while teaching how to use it properly, teaches values that guide boys as they grow into men how to make good solid choices in a world full of challenges, teaches them how to prepare for greater challenges ahead. Our children each have different personalities, characteristics, and strengths. We teach them to use to them to the best of their ability. We teach them and sometimes even push them to try new things that they aren't too keen on, that they aren't sure they can do, but they know they can "fail safely" at home. Scouting does this: provides many opportunities for young boys and young men to excel in what they do well and do learn to overcome weakness/more challenging areas. We teach our children what we believe about God, and we want them to have a firm foundation on which to base decisions, goals, values, their very lives. Scouting promotes religious beliefs; in fact, without a religious belief one can't be part of Scouting--it's that important. We take our sons to the polls with us when we vote, talk about current issues, keep the lines of communication open to address all issues, and we teach them to respect all authority (though not to blindly accept it), and we take part with them or support them in striking out on their own for service to the community. Scouting does this too. Scouting provides a safe haven for boys to learn skills and values that will stay them their entire lives. It does help shape who they are, what kind of men they will be. It is one part of their lives though. My hope is that it is a significant part which provides a positive influence on their lives while at the same time being a safe place. For many boys, this is the only time they will feel safe or will find support. Not all have family supporting them, and though Scouting does not and cannot take the place of the family (it promotes family, does not replace it), it often fills a void that many boys and young men have as they grow--that of regular daily support in a safe and loving environment. This is not an easy world. Our youth are criticized for not doing enough to contribute to society, for just hanging out on street corners, and on it goes. Scouting provides them an opportunity to do more, to set goals--high goals, and then to reach them. In Scouting, the adult leadership understands the challenges boys and young men face, and the adult leadership commits to helping them to make it. Make it to what? To being boys and young men trained in character, citizenship, and fitness. The BSA does not do this alone, but the BSA does care enough about the boys it serves to know not to underestimate what these boys and young men can do and what they can become. For the boys and young men who might read this, we (I am one of many) do believe in you and will continue to support you, for we know what a tough road you have ahead of you, and we want to see you succeed...and regardless of rank to also see you soar as though on the wings of an eagle!

Thank you. It was published the very next day, and the DE was forwarding it to others at council, happy to see good news. I felt privileged to be given the opportunity to share my views on Scouting in a paper that is known for being very selective in what it prints.