My son's got the Scout bug and nailed is BOR last week for First Class without any follow up questions from the board. However, one of the boys parents made the off comment to her son "oh he's the SM's son it's easier for him." I stopped and corrected her and informed her the only item that was holding her son back from 2nd class was the swimming requirement and service project since her son did not want to take the swimmers test during SC three weeks ago and has failed to show up for any of the 4 service projects the Troop has had. The lad didn't even attempt the SC swimming activities and didn't take part in the swimming classes. I informed her it was fine if he wanted to stay a TF that advancement was not mandatory just as long as he was having fun and getting something from the program. Which the boy has told me many times he's having fun.

My son has worked really hard and deserves the rank. In fact, I'm probably harder on him than the others in that I cut him no slack.

The committee members know how hard I make him work so they know each time he's been before them for BOR he knows his stuff. So how do you SM dads handle these tricky issues? I've had ASM's counter sign my son's advancements and merit badges etc. and we only sign off items in the boys manuals during troop meetings for all to see.

I'm an ASM with a soon to be TF. The way I work it is that I don't sign my son's book even though the SM and other ASM's say that I can and fully understand why I don't.

I am the rifle mb guy and I am having my son answer all the questions in writing and he'll have the targets with holes to show his handy work. (son is on a competition shooting team, others know it and saw what he did at summer camp with "unknown" rifle without competition sights..... I don't expect a problem)

Sounds like a "sour grapes" mom to me.

Hang in there, your son won't let you down.

Yeah Eagle I make my son use the MB worksheets off MB.com for the one's I counsel. The other lads get to discuss with me their stuff so actually they get it easier. But then when the commitee asked if his gaol at BOR he had his 6 MB he earned this summer and his work sheets to refer to.