Hard and harsh as it may sound in a volunteer organization there comes a time when the best thing that can happen is for people to move on.

I have to admit that when my term as Council Training Chair. Was up I was sad to have to go. However the new Chair is doing a great job and his "Fresh Eyes" are seeing things and areas that I neglected. It has also given me the opportunity to devote more time to the district. One of my main tasks at present is training the lucky fellow who will follow me in 20 months time when my term is up.

Very often we see a person who has become embedded in a unit and if the real truth was known: He or She doesn't want to be there and at times is not doing such a wonderful job for the youth in the program.

People will come up to me as the District Chairman and tell me that So and So has to go!! I remind them that the selection of Unit Leaders is up to the Charter Organization.

When I became District Commissioner I did have the unenviable task of having to let some elderly commissioners go. Some of these people told me that they weren't visiting the units because they couldn't drive at night. The bottom line was that they weren't doing the job.

This is a volunteer organization and if someone isn't happy doing what they are doing the best thing that they can do is leave. If a chartered organization came to me and said that they were unhappy with an adult leader I would tell them to let him or her go.

On the District level I hold all the Committee Chairs. accountable, if they are unable to perform or can't get the job done after training and coaching there is no alternative but to replace them.

Yes there are many adults in the program who do a sterling job and do it for many years. Still to my way of thinking one of the jobs they need to think about is bringing more adults on board and making sure that they are ready to step up to the plate.

Eamonn

I agree with this. I was chairman of the board for a local non-profit, and one of things we did was to take a class on how to run a board for charitable non-profits. A 3-year term limit was recommended, and at the end of the term, a 1-year break was recommended before the person would apply to the board again. This was good advice that we found to be practical. The concern was that we'd not have enough people. Not only did I not share that concern, but I called a meeting with each individual on the board. I asked each why they wanted to serve. Most were not serving in the capacity for which they felt suited. That changed. Some were serving but did not want to; they left guilt-free. I took a lot of heat for that, but I didn't care. What we ended up with was those who were tired, stressed, not interested leaving by their choice and quietly as I took their resignations and presented them to the board if they wanted. Those remaining ended up in positions suited to them. We became more efficient and that appealed to others, and that grew the board. This seems like something that would be beneficial to Scouting too. Some time off for those who long-term doesn't seem a bad idea. That said, I'm not sure I could step away--though if asked to, I would.(This message has been edited by Laurie)

Actually every adult position has a term limit in a way. It is 1-year, and is renewed or not at the time of charter renewal. I recommend that the COR, Committee Chair and everyone else treat it as such. Let volunteers have an annual review and ask them to stay another year in their present position, or if needed offer them a new challenge.

Bob, excellent point. Who would do this review? This may sound like a dumb question, but we've rebuilt ourselves with no help from the CO. A lot of untrained, stressed leaders who were doing the job because noone else would held things together for awhile, but barely. There was no "real" COR, just a name. So, now that we have a real person, how would the unit begin this review process? It makes so much sense to have an annual review, and I would hate to see our unit head into trouble again.

As ever Bob is right on the money. This was how I reorganized the commissioner staff.

While some people thought I went a little over the top. I went and bought all the staff the position patch and had a ceremony where I informed them that it was my patch and they could keep it for a year.

When it came time for the District Rechartering I looked over their performance and let go those who weren't doing the job.

We all need to look at the rechartering of whatever we are in as a tool. Just as I as District Commish. Reviewed the Commissioner staff before passing the list on to the Council Commissioner, who had the names approved by the Executive Board, we can do the sane sort of things in our units.

Eamonn

A good rule of thumb is three years for district volunteer positions. One year is spent with a mentor close by. One year on your own. Last year helping a likely candidate to take over. While no hard and fast rule exists, this is usually what our district follows. So, even if some individuals do a fantastic job for three successive years, they are usually rotated out. This prevents job burn out and gives others opportunities. Now, I would not like a hard and fast "three and out" rule but as a rule of thumb it is not a bad place to start.

• 4 weeks later...

Qualification has nothing to do with his authority or responsibility to make the decision.

His qualifications are for the District Selection Committee to consider prior to his appointment. Once in the office it is his responsibility to the scouting community he leads to select good people, and to replace those who are not upholding their duties with people who will.

One tool at his disposal is the annual charter renewal process.

ASM1

You could be right about me thinking too much of myself.

In fact I try to be aware of how I'm feeling. For example if I was aware that I was in a bad mood and read your posting. I might have thought that you were rude and uncalled for.

As it happens I have been thinking about myself and find that I'm not in a bad mood.

You ask what my Qualifications as a volunteer to judge and replace other volunteers is ? (I'm far too lazy to count how many ?)

Of course this being the organization that it is we really don't take much notice of academic qualifications. But I do have a few. Some people think that length of service acts as some kind of qualification. I don't, but some do. In any case I have been around for a while and next year will receive a 40 year pin.

Some might think that the number of knots you wear on a uniform might be a sign of being qualified. Again I don't. I do however have a lot.

Some might look at all the gray hair and think that might act as a sign of some sort. Again I disagree.

So how did I end up judging and replacing other volunteers?

Well once upon a time there was a nominating committee, made up of volunteers they met and they nominated me. From there my name went to another group of volunteers who sat on the executive board and they along with the OK of the Council Commissioner approved me then last but not least they asked me. Of course being as I think so highly of myself I accepted.

Hope this helps.

Eamonn

ASM1, for someone who claims to be so well trained, I'm puzzled at how you can ask Eamonn this question. It is the role he has been asked to serve in. His qualifications would have been considered by those who appointed him to his current position. Just as he meets with, works with, builds up, and sometimes needs to suggest moving on to leaders, he also has those doing that above him. If he were to think too highly of himself and therefore not do his job well, he'd not have it any longer. You seem to be just insulting Eamonn, but just in case I read that wrong, maybe you want to become a District Chairman and are asking what qualifies him so you know if you qualify?

Bob, a belated thank you on telling me how the review process should work from now on. I have it on paper, but hearing it from someone experienced helps make it clearer. Training courses assumed we had been approved prior to filling a role and training for it. Thanks!!