Other non Patrol Scout jobs

This thread was spun from another thread.Three times I have had a Scout who I did not want to be in any Patrol of Scouts. I have tried three different methods of including them and am interested in others experiences.

Firstly an overview of why they could not join a Patrol. I do this to paint a picture. We have a different system and I do not wish to go into a full thesis on our differences. I'm really out to compare solutions of employment. So the Scouts were:

Much older than other Scouts when they first start (a 14 year old being led by 12 year olds did not seem likely on this one),

Was a PL in another Troop and there were no vacancies in ours for a PL. Putting him back was not desirable in the long term,

The Scout has serious behaviour issues and would so disrupt a Patrol and undermine a PL that he must stay out for their benefit,

Okay- my solutions from worst to not yet tried but considering are:

SPL

QM

Assistant PL for Venture Patrol activities. More Venture Parol coordinator - its the level he is working on)

In all cases the Scouts are older or as the oldest, new to the Troop and there were other personality/behaviour issues that would be upset.

None of those jobs actually exist in Scouts Australia.

Has anybody had a successful experience with a worthwhile Troop position for Scouts who are not suited to life in the Patrols?

In my opinion "Scouts who are not suited to life in the Patrols" are scouts who are not suited for life in the troops. It seems that patrol compatibility is the least of your problems here. I would be focusing on the "serious behaviour problems" before I concerned myself with creating a new position in which to place the scout.

I think that you are fortunate to have a Scouting program which avoids all the "floater" positions that the BSA does and resembles BP's system better. I may be mistaken, but it sounds like the "Venture" patrol is composed of mainly older scouts. Could you just place the new scout in that patrol without making him the assistant patrol leader. I'm not sure exactly what "it's the level he is working on" means, but it would seem to indicate that he would be interested and suited to such a group's activities. I would say let him be a member of this patrol and after he has been with the troop for a while, he may seek a position. He will no longer be "the new guy" and he will know better how to function as a member of the troop. He is still young (at 14) and so has plenty of time to seek and hold offices. I don't think that he "deserves" to be a troop officer just because he was one in his former troop. He needs to learn how to be a good scout before he becomes a good scout leader.

Seems to me that a boy "not suited to life in the patrols" is a boy not behaving according to the Scout Oath and Law. That basic deficiency needs to be addressed rather than tinkering with the appointed positions in the troop to somehow accomodate him. If a boy is not living by the Oath and Law then certainly he does not deserve a leadership position, and if it is a boy-led troop the elections would make sure of that.

Sounds like it's time for a SM conference, with the overriding theme being the question "Why are you here?". Every rank includes an advancement requirement to be active in your patrol and Troop. If you can't do that, you can't advance. If he's aware of that and doesn't care, then we circle back to the question...

KS

Fair enough.

A few differences that you may not understand.

There are no appointed Troop leadership positions over here. None. I have invented them twice before but in this case I agree. This young man will not be in a leadership position.

Also there is no Venture Patrol Adrianvs. Rather we run a few activities that are more adventurous for older Scouts and he can help the adults arrange them. He would have no responsibility for other Scouts. He in fact would have no Patrol and needs a recognised role (which is NOT senior to any PL). Where does he stand on parade and who does he tent and eat with?

There is no such thing as an SM conference. I talk to Scouts as needed but there is no recognised formal interview. It is not my place to allow him to continue or not. He wants to be there and until the PLC say he goes then he stays. The PLC may require him to stand on the mat and face the music but it has not reached anything like that point yet.

He has behaviour issues certainly. To his credit he tries and as long as he does that so will I. I doubt that he will ever live the law and promise as we expect others too but he does understand - just has difficulty applying that knowledge. He is quite intelligent.

He has no problem with being out front of people. What he needs to value is being a vital wheel in the machine. Therefore the best I can come up with is Assistant PL of an ad hoc grouping. (APLs in my Troop are responsible for admin and logistics. It is not really a leadership position but is a responsibility) In effect he will help me prepare and conduct adventurous activities.

Oh! and he is the newest and oldest member of the Troop with at least six months before moving up to Venturers at age 15 which he is keen to do. He is immature for age and I will hold him until max age for Scouts (15) so that he can understand the law and promise before moving on. Venturer Units have a structure without Patrols and he will be the right starting age there as well. It is just the next few months when he doesnt fit.

So my questions remain:

What can he do and what recognised role can he play?

Has anyone found something that works?

Hmmm. Thinking back on the comments (all of which I value). Advancement is not an issue just as leadership is not on the agenda. Why is he here? He wants to join in. And while he is here we will rub some character into him.