Cheap Neckerchief Slides

I went through with my plan. I bought 12 neckerchiefs and I made 12 slides. I used 1/2 inch PVC pipe, and I cut it to one inch lengths. I painted them navy blue. I attached a small key to the ones for the den leaders because they are the KEY to our success. I attached a bit of ROPE to the ones for the assistant den leaders because they tie up our loose ends. And I attached a small BATTERY to the slides for our pack committee because the keep us charged up. It was a big hit! The leaders really seemed to appreciate it, and the cubs seemed a little jealous, so now I'm trying to think of slides to make for them.

At least three of our cubs are enrolled in martial arts classes. I think they will all test for black belt in the spring. Scouting doesn't have any recognition for martial arts, so I think I'll make them a slide to commemorate the occasion, and let them know we value their achievement, too.

Most of the third graders in our pack will prepare a speech this year on a famous person. They will deliver the speech in character and in costume during an evening assembly. I ranked my brain the year before last trying to think of some recognition for these boys. There is no belt loop for biography. One scout did his speech on an astronaut, so that would be progress toward the astronomy pin, but I think I'll make them slides this year.

The fourth and fifth graders have something going on this year, too. I think its an art fair. Last year it was a science fair. It rotates every three years. Next year it will be performing arts. I don't know what that will be like.