The DE or the UC?

When is it appropriate to call on your Unit Commissioner for advice rather than the District Executive? Or, when should you call on your DE rather than the UC? I often feel that the UCs in our district are under-utilized and we bother the DE too much with details that could be easily addressed by our UC.

Jeffrey and Fellow Scouters,

Greetings!

Let me offer my opinion...

A Scouter should always call upon their UC for every issue. (With the exception of youth protection or similar highly sensitive topics)

Whether it is regarding finances, program, re-charter, discipline, recruitment, injuries, insurance, advancement, disruptions, crossover, disagreements, celebrations, there are many reasons. A good UC, will answer all the Scouters questions, and know when to defer to the District or Scout Executive.

It is much easier with email, I often reply and cc my DE. The DE will either Concur, not Concur; or yes rarely, clarify my explanation.

Via the phone, I will tell my fellow Scouters when I am the final topic authority; or when I am only an advisor and they are referred to the topic authority.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

While not a hard and fast rule/ guide, things normally go better in this organization when volunteers deal with volunteers.

Of course a lot will depend on who you have to deal with. In some Councils the only requirement to be a UC is a warm body. In our District our DE is a young fellow right out of college.

If the system is working as it should in most cases the DE is going to get a report anyway. The UC reports to the Assistant or District Commissioner and unit health is on the District Committee Meeting agenda and the Key 3 agenda.

Eamonn.

Thanks for the advice. I personally would rather deal with my UC than the DE. The DE is a nice guy, but as a professional he is distracted by other issues and a different set of goals.

It does make sense that we should call on our UC because he/she has been assigned to our specific unit. Fortunately, we have a new UC that seems to be truly "engaged" and available for help.

Call your UC for counsel on all scouting matters and consider the DE just an executive secretary of the district.

The rare exception is to report child abuse and I would recommend setting an appointment in confidence with your council scout executive to discuss such a serious matter....

MCCET

PMTNPO

OWL

Commissioner of the old red coat school and dam proud of it.