has anyone else ever felt there troop is like the step child of there dist? three years ago i started a troop here when there had not been one in decades and everyone said they would help and so on but not a soul even speaks to us no do we see our se os uc and so on and i do atend all round tables and training the boys have done great so far we did a rather large service project last year at old camp irondale and invited all to come not a one came from our own district but some frome the council did. so what do you all think? thanks Scott

It's important to realize that all of the people you mention probably don't have a lot of discretionary time, especially if your troop is running well. It's just a fact of life that we all spend time trying to put out fires (instead of nursing the kindling) and just trying to keep our heads above water. My troop has done some pretty significant things for our district, and the most recognition has been a brief acnowledgement if someone was there when the deed was done, or maybe a mention at roundtable.

I've seen some units earn a "reputation" in districts by always puffing their chests over their programs, growth, skill levels, or whatever. Few people want to hear that. Some units try to show how they're "better" than others. Most people don't like that. Units who are careful to use their "role modeling" to encourage others to help out with something are far more likely to receive an enthusiastic response. That said, I don't know your unit, and I'm not passing judgement. Just food for thought.

My troop does things for the opportunity to serve, to build character, and for the personal satisfaction of observing the 3rd point (and others) of the Law. Sometimes our "recognition" is a certificate. Sometimes we remember to take pictures and pat ourselves on the back by putting an article in the local newspaper. Most of the time we're just glad we did what we did.

Congratulations on starting up a troop where there was none. That's a LOT of work. It's fun to have recognition from your peers, but unfortunately we can't always adjust our schedules to suit someone else's - maybe that's why no one from your district came. Be glad some people from the Council came.

Keep up the good work. It is noticed more than you know.

If you know who your UC is, make the call and let him know that you would appreciate some contact, after all that is how the UC is supposed to do the job. If the UC is not willing to make monthly contact (If your unit is doing well a call one month and a visit the next, if not a monthly visit in my opinion) I would speak to the D. Commissioner and ask that the UC be motivated to do the job or have a new one assigned. If that doesn't work I would speak with the DE, then the D Chairman. If all else fails I would call the council commissioner. I stongly believe that a good UC can be a units best friend, and a bad one can really hurt a unit.

Scott -

You will learn, with time, that the less you and your unit see of these District types the happier you will be.

When you do see them, they will be recruiting FOS presenters, District popcorn flunkies, District Committee members etc. etc. Somewhere the idea that Districts exist to support Units has been obscured. There is a group that seems to think that Units exist to support Districts and Councils. Most of their activities have little to do with supporting the program of healthy Units. In my opinion, we have become rather top-heavy. I see that this is your first post. Welcome to the forum. You will find many congenial folks here. There is a world of experience represented by the members of the forum and I have found that the answer to any Scouting question can be found here. Good luck and keep on Scouting.

thanks to all that replied. since we started this troop it has been forums such as this that have been most helpfull no to mention some of the great websites troops have out there loaded with info from years of doing this. thanks again Scott