I am so fed up and disgusted I am ready to quit SCOUTS!

Joni;

We're in the same council, and I attended WB in Okinawa, so I'm very well acquainted with many of the volunteers and pros in your district. I think you have a number of very dedicated people there, who have the right sight picture -- your unit experience notwithstanding. I have to believe that your district leadership will work to correct the problems you describe and experienced. If it's any consolation, we've all run into the same things...maybe just not all at one time like you did! Adults behaving badly is one of my biggest frustrations, but I get around it by judging the program based on the Scouts' experiences, not mine. It doesn't always do the trick, but it helps...and I'm sure you already use the same technique -- you'd almost have to!

Good luck; we both know how much more difficult it can be to give our kids comparable experiences to their peers in the U.S. -- Scouting's no different. Hang in there...

KS

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KoreaScouter,

You're absolutely correct about the District people. And since I have recently begun to work on the District Staff and been involved more at that level, I have been probing them for advice throughout the last few months. As I said in previous posts, I have really tried to implement the advice and suggestions they've given me and respected their experience they've passed along to me. But you can only lead a horse to water and ya can't make 'em drink! :)

Anyhow, perhaps my husband and I have made ourselves the sacrificial lambs in this particular situation, and that's fine with us. Both Pack and Troop, along with our unit commissioner and COR are having meetings to talk about the issues now and hopefully will straighten things out so these boys will have a better program. (Since we are no longer members of these units, we are not attending the meetings, though we were invited.) If the boys come out the winners here, then I am convinced my speaking up about the issues was WELL WORTH IT!

I probably could have tried harder, perhaps I could have done things and approached issues differently but I am satisfied that I've made the best decisions (and certainly not the easiest) I could have, given the circumstances!

Thank you ALL for all the support and advice. This has been a real learning experience and I hope I never have to undergo any situation like this again... but I am better equipped to deal with it now,if need be.

Thanks!

Joni