Wow! Had 11 boys register with the new Troop. We had our first meeting this week and they all said it was GrrrEAT! They are looking forward to our first outing later this month a hike at our local State wildlife life conservation area approx 1000 acres to hike in. Also,the council camporee is coming up next month and the boys want to go camping for sure. Question is there a good rule to go by in figuring the cost of feed a group of 11 boys for two days? Since the troop is new and we haven't had any fundraisers yet us parents will have to foo the bill on this one so I'm looking for info on the $$ amount to pass along.

I would try putting a little patrol method into getting the food. The boys plan a menu for the weekend at a troop meeting. Have the SM approve the menu, that way they don't eat twinkies and snickers all weekend. They then schedule a patrol meeting at the store to buy the food. Have one of the parents show up to make sure they get everything they need. By the way, this is a great way for a parent that can't be a leader to help out. Have each Scout bring some money, maybe $10 each. Each one gives the patrol leader their money.

The boys will be the shoppers, get the food, and will start to build some patrol spirit. Since you are a small troop, make sure they know how many they are cooking for, including leaders. Make sure the leaders put in their money for the food as well. At the end, any leftover money is returned. When they find out on the campout that they forgot something, turn it into a learning experience.

Sounds like you are off to a great start!

RMV

I agree with both responses. When we camp, the assigned cook provides a light snack on Friday night, a good breakfast, a light lunch (like cold cuts or hot dogs), a great dinner, and a snack Saturday, then cold cereal and fruit Sunday morning. This usually costs @ 10.50 - $12.00 per guy, assuming 6 - 10 guys in the patrol to feed.

But I think RMV has the better idea. Let the boys figure it out. Normally, I would say the Patrol leader should assign someone to be a cook and he should shop, or the PL should assign a shopper. But in your situation, I think RMV points out a great oppurtunity for team building, and also getting everyone in the patrol up to speed quickly on how this process works. Then the next time the PL can assign the duty.

Good luck! Great to hear you are off to such a great start!

Mark

Yes I was planning to have them form two patrols or 5 each and have them do everything involved meal plans, duty roster, shop etc. Just needed a good rule of thumb to figure just how much and how many chores around thier homes each boy should do as moms and dads will be financing this trip totally. Already $5.00 camp fee per boy and from the responses it seems $10.00 to $12.00 depending on what they decide to eat. Perhaps $20.00 would be a good amount to provide the parents then if the boys don't use it all they can either give it back can ask thier parents if they want to keep it in the troop treasury.