I have a WEBELOS den leader who signed up for outdoor training next weekend and was just notified that the training has been canceled. They offered to transfer her registration to the following weekends training but she already had plans that she can't get out of. We are in Dan Beard Council and I am looking for Webelos Leaders Outdoor Training in the Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana area for any weekend but the 24th. She is real disappointed because she really wanted to take this training so she can put on an outdoor program for her WEBELOS. HELP!!!!

I don't have an alternative date for you, I'll be at the training that weekend. However, I'm fairly certain that WELOT isn't required for den outings, just recommended. I know if I'm wrong someone will point us in the right direction. Note that I'm not saying it isn't valuable training, just that you can still have an outing even if no one's had it.

I looked this up online and the reference indicates the leader SHOULD attend training before conducting an outing, but does not say it is REQUIRED. I would absolutely encourage her to pursue the training and take it as soon as she can, but I would not continue to postpone outings. Good luck with locating a training she can attend.

Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders

Webelos den campouts serve to move the Webelos Scout to the next level of the BSA's ever-increasing challenge in the outdoors. The boy and his parent will be introduced to the basics of Boy Scout camping. A trained Webelos den leader who has completed position-specific training and Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders should conduct these events. Webelos dens are encouraged to participate in joint den-troop campouts, particularly in the fifth-grade year.

Designed specifically for Webelos den leaders and their assistants, the Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders course teaches outdoor-related skills through demonstration and hands-on practice. Webelos den leaders should attend this training before conducting Webelos overnight camping with the boys and parents of the den. In addition to covering basic camping skills, this training features planning campouts and finding resources.

The council and/or district usually offer Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders several times each year. Check with your pack trainer, unit commissioner, district training chair, or local council service center for dates and locations.