I did my Wood Badge course in 2005 and we made patrol ropes using what I would call a double slip knot technique.

I was talking with a Scouter some time ago who did Wood Badge quit a few years before. He had a six foot length of rope with a dowel eye spiced on one end and an a regular eye splice on the other. This was done so the patrol rope could be hooked to itself or other patrol ropes using the dowel and like a button and the eye splice like a button hole.

Does anyone have instructions for this style patrol rope? If it is called a patrol rope. I can experiment with the dowel and rope diameters and lengths but I would like to skip to the end on that part if possible.

I do NOT need instructions on how to eye splice. I have had that part covered since I earned pioneering merit badge back in the late 70's. :)

I am hoping to give our SPL an example of each so he can give the patrols a choice of which type they would like to carry/create for a wilderness survival outing.

Thanks,

Lincoln

I used to be a Bear and continue to be an Eagle

Have not played with one of these since 1999! The last old course I staffed.

I always thought of it and called it a commando belt.

We never used a dowel, just a thick twig which we cut to accommodate the rope.

I really don't see myself ever trusting these for any sort of climbing and I'm only a little fellow.

Eamonn.