Traditional Wood Badge Staff knife?

Here in our council, the WB staff have a tradition of carrying Marlin Spike knives. At one time, new staff members were given one as a "thank you" gift. These knives used to be made by Camillus (http://www.fernknives.com/camillus/us-navy-marlin-spike/736/index.html), but they have gone out of business. I think that is when the tradition of giving them to new staff stopped. Do other councils have this same tradition of carrying Marlin Spikes, or is it just local?

I picked one up on ebay, really just for the tradition, but now it is one of my favorites. It is great for untying really tight knots.

These knives from Colonial Knife Company, available at knifecenter.com looks a LOT like the Camillus knife, though I haven't a clue of their quality.

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=CLG10

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=CLC10

FYI, I've purchased a fair number of knives through knifecenter.com and have nothing but excellent service from them.

Probably a local tradition, which is A-OK in my book. I love local traditions. I staffed for the first time last spring and our local tradition is that every staff member give a gift to each other. We ended up walking away with a LOT of mementos. I'm already working on my gift for next year.

Why is it a Marlin Spike knife? Easy splicing? I'm curious.

local1400,

Although most forums were blocked, my company's internet filter allowed Scouter.com for years and I usually weighed in on company time. Some time ago they decided to start blocking Scouter. I'm usually too busy in the evenings to spend much time on the internet, so it has curtailed my participation here. I do miss it.

"Why is it a Marlin Spike knife? Easy splicing? I'm curious."

Marlinspikes and marlinspike knifes are an important item in traditional seamanship.

The marlinspike is used to pry the sections of rope open, to make splicing easy. I would expect such knifes to be used in Sea Scouting then in WB, really. Marlinspike events are still begin in Sea scouting.

kb,

I'm not sure of how the tradition started. We don't do much splicing in WB, but for our course, we raise two 40' x 60' tarps that overlap. This covers our Troop Learing Area, a space big enough for all 8 patrols and staff members. It is a real job to get them up and spread out correctly. Part of this is a team building excercise for the staff, as well.

We use lots of 550 cord to pull out the sides of the tarps. That is a lot of rope work, and some of the knots get jammed pretty tight. The spike on the Marlin Spike comes in real handy getting those lose. I have also found it handy to untie the ties on the summer camp tents, after they have gotten wet and pulled tight (boys going under them rather than untie them). They also come in handy in tying some of the "fun" knots - monkey's fist, etc.

Once you start carrying one, it is amazing how many times you find yourself using it.

We all carry ours in the leather one-piece fold-up sheaths, on our belts. I'm not sure if that sheath has a specific name, but it is made from one long piece of leather that folds up on itself to make the sheath. No sewing involved. It can be used to carry knives, leatherman tools, etc. Anyone know what I'm talking about? The boys have even made them at Day Camp (after adults cut out the pattern).

Thanks for the info. My father would always carry a pocket knife for as long as I can remember and up until the day he died. I got possession of a lot of his scouting stuff (he was a SM in the 50's and 60's), but we divvied up his pocket knives (tons of them) among the grandsons (tons of them, too). Some of them had Marlin spikes, and I really never understood why until now, he could always undo any knot, no matter how wet, old, or badly tied. I might have to get me one of those lil miracles.