University of Scouting Website class

I know this topic should be in the web area of the forum but I thought it would get a better response here. I was asked to do a website class at University of Scouting. I was just wondering if anybody else had heard of a class like this being offered? I am kind of crossed on what kind of class I should give. Should I go the more technical route, explaining FTP, SQL, Java, etc. or should I go with a more basic approach like rules and regulations set by national, what should and shouldn't be on the website, the time it takes to run the website, and maybe free resources novice webmasters could use to start there own website?

I am thinking about going with the novice class because I think more people will come out the class with a better understanding of the web.

If anybody has any ideas or resources I can use, PLEASE help.....

I'd say go with the basics. Most Scouters I've met do not know (or want to know) the technical stuff. They just want a simple, quick, and cheap or free way to put up a website for their unit. And most have no idea about what should/shouldn't go on the website as per BSA guidelines, or even that there are guidelines.

It might not be a bad idea, though, also to have a couple of handouts either with a little info about the more technical side, or with some good sources for those interested in learning more. That way if you do get someone who is really gung ho, you have something for them too.

My recommendation is give them a cookbook of instructions on how to build and update a website on something like GoDaddy. Then give them a template site on CD. Show them how to modify the template and upload it to the server. Nothing advanced like SQL, Java. Just the basic HTML.

For troops and crews, you might also suggest that one of the scouts could be the webmaster, or at least, assist the webmaster. Half the time the youth understand this stuff better than the adults anyway (my son just finished a web design class at school), and this is just one more area where youth-led can be well implemented.

Funny you should say that Gern. One of our scouts has been the webmaster for our district this year. I find I have more trouble getting adults to LET them do this sort of thing. But, you're correct of course, it does depend a lot on the personalities, interests, and skills of the youth in the program at any given time. And maybe it helps that the local school districts in this area all push web design in their tech classes, so quite a few boys know how to do this, and do it well. That might not be the case everywhere.

Maybe what we ought to be doing is asking them to help us set up Facebook sites for the troop instead?

Here is a great website resource. I have used them for both pack and troop sites. The software and hosting are free, yes FREE. (No - I do not work for them - I think they have a great product.) The unit is responsible for creating and registering a domain name.

As far as course content: I would discuss policies about names, addresses, locations, etc.

I would also discuss appropriate content, having the unit decide on their vision for the website i.e. what purpose to they want the website to serve.

OK - here's the link I promised:

http://decisiondesign.com/decisiondesign/scouts.asp

If you want to see an active site, here are two.

My old pack's website is www.mnpack561.org

My current troop's site is www.mytroop626.com

sorry for the late response, I have been working and they moved the thread on me. I appreciate all the good ideas everybody has been giving me. I think I am going to have a basic class to start off with and ask if anybody would like to do an advanced class at a later date. OK here is the kicker......... What do we call it? We have cool name like OWL and Baloo training, what do we call a Basic website development class? I thought about WOLF but all I got was Basic Website Lxxxxxx Fxxxxxx. I still need something for the L and the F!