I just finished being on a staff for the first time. I was part of a BALOO and OWLS course. (I had been asked to be on staff for the same course last fall, but was unavailable) I'm not sure what made the weekend so great - it had to be a combination of everything: being outside, camping, fellowship, and being with like-minded people who have similar values.

The course participants were a great group of people - some of them were downright hilarious. We had placed them into three groups, and each group seemed to get along very well with each other. And the groups did the requisite poking fun at the staff, but it was all in fun.

The staff was another great group of people. One of the staff members (T__) was one of the first scouters I met outside my pack at a district training. Another (N__) I knew from district activities and my Wood Badge course (she was on staff). The course director (M__) was a fellow Fox patrol member from our Wood Badge course last year. He was the one who tendered the invitation both times. The other staff member I knew (P__) was also from the Bear patrol of the same Wood Badge course.

The Scout Reservation was a rather busy place. We had BALOO/OWLS course in one section, three cub scout groups had taken over another three areas for their camping, and another area was hosting the final weekend of a Wood Badge course. This was also the same camp were I spent the final Wood Badge weekend.

My responsibilities at BALOO/OWLS was teaching Campfire planning, Fires and Fire Safety, and Readyman and Woods Tools. In addition, I was the MC for the campfires and also had my trumpet and guitar.

We ate extremely well. P__ and T__ were in charge of the cooking - it was fantastic, and has inspired me to try more varied things when cooking outside. Dinner Saturday night was pork loin and potatoes (cooked in a Dutch oven), biscuits (from box ovens), vegetables, and two different cakes for dessert (also made in Dutch ovens).

Probably one of the best, and most special moments, for the weekend occured Saturday night at Cracker Barrel. (I'm getting tears just thinking about it). P__ received his Wood Badge beads. Two of the staffers from the Wood Badge course at the camp came to conduct the ceremony. M__ and I participated in P__'s beading ceremony. And all of us involved in the ceremony had tears in our eyes. We had mentioned Wood Badge and talked about it to the participants. One had just completed the winter course, and two were attending the fall course. After seeing the beading and the emotions it brought, several of the other participants are now seriously considering attending Wood Badge as well.

All in all, a fantastic, and very successful, weekend. I'm happy to have been a part of it.

Happy Monday, everyone.

Tom

C-44-06 FOX Patrol

Good Deal Tom,

I staffed my first adult event right after Wood Badge 4 years ago, it was one of my ticket items. I've been involved with training ever since. It's one of the things I consider to be my fun items. I've never had a bad time...ever. There are always a few kinks in the chain, but that's a part of team development and training that I take on as a challenge. When I grow up I want to be a Boy Scout Trainer...

I would say that if you're ever asked to be a member of a Wood Badge staff, take it. You will have a similar experience, only ten fold. I just had my first Wood Badge weekend as a staff member and I'm thoroughly exhausted, in a good way. I know that I gave the participants every thing I had and then some. I can't wait for the second weekend. My wife thinks I'm nuts, she may be right come to think of it.

I'm really happy and glad that you had such a great time.

The real trick to getting this right is when Scouts come home from a weekend feeling the same way.Better yet if they want to keep having great weekends.

Ea.