How Many Wood Badgers Are There?

Just curious.

Does anyone have any (verified) statistics on how many Wood Badgers there are? A rough estimate would be fine. I am not even sure that is something anyone keeps track of.

If you can find something or provide a resource, I'd be much obliged.

Eagle Pete

From what I have been told, the National Council does not have or keep any records on WB'ers. Our local council doesn't even have them!! One of the goals of our Wood Badge Association has been to build a list of known WB'er's, so we all contribute to it as much as we can when we happen to identify one through other ways. One of our long time SM's does have some records of his own, but we haven't gotten them yet.

Sue M.

Hey SueM

Thanks for the info. What you are saying pretty much coincides with our council as well, although, I know that each course in our council maintains their own roster of participants. I can only assume that other courses in other councils maintain similar records. It would seem to me that it wouldn't be that much of a stretch for councils to put together lists of all their participants in the council (for all I know this is already being done at the local council levels). I was hoping someone had access to these records (assuming they existed) but like many record in BSA, these are likely incomplete at best. I guess it would be fairly difficult to get an accurate statistic of number of Wood Badge participants.

Anyway, it was mainly a curiosity question. Nothing important. Thanks for responding though.

Eagle Pete

Wood Badge is offered in a most countries that have Scouting.

The number of Wood Badgers runs into the hundreds of thousands.

Every year in September Gilwell Park, where the first course was ran has a Gilwell Reunion.

It used to be only open to Wood Badge holders, but is now open to Wood Badge holders, family and friends.

It's a nice weekend!!

The 81st Gilwell Reunion will be held over the weekend of 7-9 September 2007 at Gilwell Park Scout Activity Centre, on the edge of Epping Forest. The weekend is an opportunity for adult Members of the Movement to come together for a weekend of fun as well as celebrate Scoutings Centenary.

http://www.scouts.org.uk/2007/events/reunion.html

This would be great for people who for some reason didn't get to attend the Jamboree.

Eamonn.