Venturing Advisor on Wood Badge Staff

I am really interested in knowing if there are any courses out there using the staff position of Venturing Advisor for the entire course and not just the campfire. I also see where courses have used young venturers in the council to help on the second weekend. I was thinking of talking with the next course director and seeing about really implementing this position. Please let me know your thoughts and info.

Thanks

The position of Adviser to Youth involvement is not a staff position but a role assumed by an assistant senior patrol leader, an assistant Scoutmaster, or a Scouting professional. This staff member is responsible for identifying and recruiting yuth to assist with appropriate portions of the program, providing course dates and clothing guidelines to youth participants, developing a plan for youth to manage theri meals during the course, and ensuring that the course adheres to the BSA's Youth Protection policies.

This is from the Administrative Guide for conducting a Wood Badge Course.

I am using Venturing youth in the course I am directing this year and I am using a Assistant Scoutmaster who is a Venture Leader for this role.

Hope this helps.

Dancin Fox

Our next course (which will be in Sept) has at least 2 on staff who are involved in Venturing...there actually may be more, but these are the 2 that I'm most familiar with. One is going to be the Scribe and the other a Troop Guide, but I don't remember any specific Venturing Advisor for the youth at my course..

Sue M

• 2 weeks later...

The course was actually DESIGNED to bring a group of Venturers for the second weekend to work with the course participants. Typically, a Venturing leader is picked to oversee these youth, either someone already on staff or another person (who has already gone thru WB).

Sadly, I hear that in some councils they get a bunch of arrowmen instead.

Ideally, there should be several Venturing leaders already on staff and as participants.

(PS Venture and Venturing are not the same. Venture is a Boy Scout Program for troops.)