It's been several years since I had to travel on business. The end of October a trip to England was in the offing. I had to rush and get a passport (why isn't it called a portpass?). So I spent last Monday through Thursday near London in a town called Bracknell and flew back Friday.

I spent a couple of days in London 18 years ago and just rushed through the typical tourist sights. This trip though, there really was only one place I wanted to visit, Gilwell Park. I had a map there and new the hours it is open and unfortunately, never had an afternoon off to go. I'm still disappointed; I only had a few hours to visit Windsor Castle. That just doesn't compare does it.

I used to be an Eagle...

SWScouter

Please don't tell anyone that I said so, but your time spent at Windsor Castle was far better spent there, than it would have been at Gilwell Park.

While many see it as the Mecca of Scouting, just about everyone who has made the pilgrimage has come away feeling very let down. Gilwell Park is about as interesting as your Council Summer Camp site is in October. If there is a course in progress they are busy and don't want or need people visiting. The Gateways while interesting are not spectacular, the buildings are OK as are the statues. The museum is a nice way to fill about twenty minutes and the shop is pale by American standards. The last few years has seen a lot of development, mainly offices as the Brits, sold the office building next door to Baden Powell House and are moving their base of operations to Gilwell Park.

They do have plans to give the White House a makeover before 2007 and are selling Wood Badge beads made from fallen oaks. I really like the British Wood Badge neckerchief, it is longer than the American one, you can buy the 100% wool one, but it gets really hot wearing it.

I hope you got to see Saint Georges Chapel, at Windsor thats where I got my Queens Scout Award. They haven't got around to placing a plaque there as yet to mark the occasion, I think it's just an oversight and they will when I'm old and gray - Hang on I am old and gray.

Dear Your Majesty,

You might not remember me but.....

Eamonn.

Eamonn,

I must take issue with your reply. Years ago I had the rare opportunity to attend a Woodbadge course at Gilwell while on assignment in London. I love the history of the place and being the sole yank in the group I felt privileged at the opportunity to learn more about British Scouting and methods. I truly treasure my beads, woggle and neckerchief that I received at Gilwell. Don't get me wrong Windsor was great to see, but my memories of Gilwell will always be special.

I fail to see why you would want to take issue with my reply.

You have your special memories from Gilwell. So do I. The troop used to camp there a lot. I did my Wood Badge there, I attended the Camp Fire Leaders Course there. They are great.

However I have also taken American friends there in October or November, we rode the Train to Chingford, hiked up to the site and they felt very disappointed.

Gilwell Park, is a great place to participate in Scouting activities, but not such a hot place to visit. If you let me know when your course was and who the director was I will see if I can pick you up a course photo next time I'm over.

Eamonn.

So Backpacker, I have sent you some PMs that do not get returned. I was wondering as a Staff member on Wood Badge, what staff position did you hold and what was your favorite session to lead?

You were interested in whether I attended Wood Badge, I am interested in your experiences as well.

Please write soon,

Bob White