Not sure why? But I ended up presenting the New Leader Essentials course.

I haven't done this one in a very long time. In fact not since I was at Wood Badge.

While preparing for Wood Badge,I spent a lot of time thinking about the dreaded Tickets. How could I ensure that the Troop Guides understood Vision,Mission, Values and Goals? They had to have a real grasp of this in order to help the participants with their Tickets.

I really struggled with this and to make matters worse I wasn't really happy with the presentation in the syllabus. It is very entertaining, thought provoking,but covers too much at one time.

Today, I was very surprised that the Vision Statement of the BSA is not mentioned? But thanks to Wood Badge I think that I really did an outstanding job of covering the Mission Statement. (I know what they say about self praise!)

It would be wonderful if when the people who spent the morning with me today get to Wood Badge and remember at least some of what we covered today.

They were a super group. They really got into the course and participated right from the get go. I had almost forgot how much I enjoy training.

When I grow up I think I'll be a Trainer.

The more I think about the "One Course and your out" rule for Course Directors of Wood Badge. The more I think it is wrong. While I agree that we never want to go back to the "Old Boy's" club that seemed to happen in some areas.I still think that I have a lot to offer and not allowing me to be invited again is not such a good thing. (End Of Vent!!)

Eamonn.

BSA Vision Statement:

The Boy Scouts of America is the nation's foremost youth program of character development and values-based leadership training. In the future Scouting will continue to:

Offer young people responsible fun and adventure

Instill in young people lifetime values and develop in them ethical character as expressed in the Scout Oath and Law

Train young people in citizenship, service, and leadership

Serve America's communities and families with its quality, values-based program

What is the difference between the Vision Statement and the Mission Statement? The VS seems to include the MS, but re-worded, plus some additional bullet points. How is a vision different from a mission? Eamonn mentions the Vision, Mission, Values, and Goals as things the staff must understand. What are Values and Goals?

You cannot really do justice to the relationship of values, goals, mission and vision in the text of a cyber forum. I highly recommend you read the leadership books of Kenneth Blanchard, and of course attend Wood Badge.

The Vision statement of scouting is for the most part the Big Picture of what the BSA strives to be. The Mission is the specifc thing that the program does for the youth it serves, the Aims are how the Mission is accomplished, the Methods are the specific, unique, program elements that are what we do to accomplish the Aims.

The Values and Goals mentioned by Eamonn and others refer to what you as a leader bring to the table. Based on your personal values, what goals are you setting and accomplishing to further your personal vision of what you want to accomplish within the framework of scouting. What legacy will you leave that will positively effect the youth of today, 10, 20 or thirty years from now?

"A vision without a mission is just a dream...

A mission without a vision is just passing time...

A vision with action, can change the world."