Same sort of result for our Troop: 60 boys in the Troop, about 40-45 attend meeting during school year, only 10-15 attended summer meeting events. This was the first year we attempted a Summer program (other than Summer Camps/ high adventure trips), so I count it a qualified success. I had fun along with my son, so the rest is a bonus.

We have over a half dozen summer events. The ones that are closest and free get the most attendance. The ones farther away with a cost, less so.

I don't worry about it. We put on the best program we can for the boys. Part of the reason I want to do a strong summer program is also for recruitment, so we can show new scouts all the fun they can have if they choose.

We ran about 1/2 the Pack at district summer camps, 1/2 at our local parade, 1/3 at an evening cookout/campfire program, and 1/2 combined over the course of the summer volunteering with the local food pantry (we do a half dozen of these and only need a few scouts, so over the summer we get about 1/2 the Pack). One minor league baseball game was very poorly attended but it was on a Saturday, whereas the Girl Scout night was held just a few weeks before (don't ask why the district didn't put them on the same day). Also a drive-in movie night was a bit thin, but it was a bit of a drive to get there so I didn't expect more than about 10% of scouts.

We also promote the "summertime activity" pin, and have 2 different events per month to choose from to get the three that they need. So sometimes once boys have earned the pin they pack it in I guess.

Other than that, sports sports sports...family vacations. Yah, my son makes every event but I'm setting the schedule. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Had a similar experience this summer. I planned a fishing day in and a festival (part enjoying the festival/part handing out balloons & Pack info) in June, a State park and a Camp-in in July, and a playground day at a local peach orchard, and a swim party in Aug.

Now, I only had 12 Cubs. But only 2-plus-mine came fishing with us, and NO ONE came to ANYTHING else (except for the swim party at the end).

I still took MY son to the festival, he still handed out balloons (in uniform!), we still enjoyed the State park together, we camped out in our back yard, we played on the playground and ate peach ice cream, and we of course played hosts at the swimming party.

I awarded him the Summertime pin; anyone else who had shown up to only ONE of the two events each month would have gotten one, too. They chose not to. That's okay.

I absolutely did not take it personally. I was going to take my son to all of those place, anyway. By putting a fun family day on the Cub Scout calendar, we might have enjoyed the company. But it's understandable that folks just have other stuff going on during the summer.

It did feel like the parents wanted a break, too.