Stealing. A Cautionary Tale.

WEll, assuming things are working the way they are "supposed" to be, you'd have a treasuerer who would see the check with the forged or two same signatures on it. One signature should be of the treasuerer, and the other should be of any other authorized person - unless that person is getting the check.

In our pack, we have 3 authorized people: The treasurer, the CM ( me) and the COR. If I am getting reimbursed, then the treas and COr sign it, If the COR is getting reimbursed, The treas and myself will sign.

In the event that the treasuerer starts popping off two self signature checks, the bank is "supposed" to flag it and hold it.

At any point along the line, there has to be some honesty working.

There's a big difference in the law for "misappropriation of funds" and "forgery". In the given example, the former Cubmaster was able to argue that the first few withdrawals were for "last minute camping". If that was the limit of the withdrawals, then the organization may not have had a recourse to seek reimbursement, even if it had drained the account at the time. But if that former Cubmaster had to fake a signature on a check to get the money, there's no "bookkeeping error" excuse to fall back on.

What it appeared that he was doing was going to the grocery and either using the Cub account to pay for his own stuff some of the time, or buying some small thing and getting the maximum cash back.

He did this every few days until the account was down to about $300. The statements were going to HIM, so who was to know?!?

I didn't think about the two signatures thing...probably because it wouldn't occur to me to try it. But you're right, Oakster--people who "live by their wits" will find a way.