I know you all know that but....

Tonight was our last regular den meeting before we move into our summer program. We have our Pack meeting next week.

Anyway, I am a Bear DL and I used part of our meeting tonight to go over some of the physical fitness things we covered last fall and periodically over the school year. Anyway, I have one boy who never finishes first in anything......but tonight he threw a softball like a MLB pitcher. It was so cool for him to finally be best at something. I don't make a big deal about who is who is first or best but I did a little more than usual for this kid. It is just cool to me that during our last regular meeting he was center stage. I might be wrong but that might be an "a ha" monent for me.

I have shared this here before but when I was a kid my parents where headed towards divorce and my dad was sinking into alcoholism. Things were tough at home....anyway, my Cub Scout Pack went to a district field day. I don't remember a lot about it other than I won a lot of races and some trophies. I do remember the feeling that gave me......it was an "a ha" moment for me.....I could be good at something inspite of the turmoil that was going on at home.

Yes.....Scouting is great! We (leaders) have an opportunity to make a boy's life better.(This message has been edited by alamancescouter)

That's a great story, thanks for sharing it with us!

One of the things I love about scouts is that opportunity to shine in different ways. The boys seem to conclude rather quickly how "good" they are at the traditional sports like soccer, baseball and football. With Cub Scouts you get the opportunity to take them outside of their comfort zone for brief moments and introduce them to new things. You might even ignite an interest in something new that otherwise they won't discover until later in life.