Disability Awareness

One of the requirements for the Disability Awareness Belt Loop is to "Attend a disabilities event such as an Easter Seals event, Special Olympics, a performance with sign language interpretation, an activity with Guiding Eyes dogs, or a wheelchair race."

Would going to a "Sensory Friendly Film" sponsored by the Autism Society count in this regard? I'm guessing its similar to the "performance with sign language". The theater takes care to make the movie friendly to viewers with sensory issues, by leaving the house lights up, toning down the sound, no ads, allowing outside snacks (for gluten/caesin free diets) and allowing noise/talking/dancing/singing by the audience. The goal is to get the scouts to notice the differences between this presentation and a "normal" movie theater experience. The scouts will (hopefully) attend with two of my nephews and brother-in-law, who are on the Autism spectrum.

As a bonus, we will see "Cars 2" and call it educational.

http://www.autism-society.org/get-involved/events/sensory-friendly-films/

ABSOLUTELY.

Instead of just seeing or hearing about what awareness means or is, they get to experience it and live it ( in an observing way)..noy just hearing somebody tell them what it means.

That is awesome that you get to go and see that.

• 3 weeks later...

That's a great idea. I'll definitely share this with my pack. My son (Web2) and daughter (Police Explorer) volunteered with the Wounded Warrior Soldier Ride in Annapolis, MD back in May. He got a chance to really interact with the soldiers. A few of them had their work dogs along, so he had a great time trying to keep up with them. I was in tears seeing how one Army K9 came to the assistance and side of a Marine. It was truly inspiring. Depending on the maturity level of the Cub, I probably wouldn't bring Tigers or Wolves without having a lot of preparation before hand.