Webelos and Yearly Patches

Yes, I know that there is no Webelos 1 and 2. But how or do you count the second summer in Webelos? If they earn the Outdoor Activity the first year, can they get a Paw Print for the second year? Or the Summertime Den Award? Do they get 2 or just 1?

I'm about to have my first real den of 5th grade Webelos and I want to do right by them. How do others work these awards? Or do you?

Diana Houser

Cubmaster Pack 32

In reference to the Outdoor Activity Award

Boys may earn the award in each of the program years as long as the requirements are completed each year. The first time the award is earned, the boy will receive the pocket flap award, which is to be worn on the right pocket flap of the uniform shirt. Each successive time the award is earned, a wolf track pin may be added to the flap.

It's ambiguous IMHO. It says "each program year" but what does that exactly mean? Does it mean each June 1-May 31st? Does it mean Tiger, Wolf, Bear, Webelos?

Since it's not advancement, I'll err on the side of the Cub. If all the requirements were completed between June 1 to May 31st, then yes I would give the Webelos the patch and a pin, or two pins as the case may be.

As for the Summertine Award pin, that's a lot easier to answer: they woudl gt 2 of the Webelos colored Summertime Award Pins.

National Summertime Award pin for boys who attend all three summertime pack activities,

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/33748.pdf

I think there may be some confusion here. There is an outdoor activity award and a summertime activity pin.

The outdoor activity award has additional requirements that are rank varied. The first time earned is a packet flap patch, after that, wolf track pins may be added.

The Summertime activity pin requires nothing more that the boy participating in a Pack event at least once in each of the three summer months. These pins are worn throught the same pocket flap and are colored by the rank they are received in. In the case of our Pack, only siblings join at the end of the School year, so the pin is awarded based on their last year rank, ie. they come back in the fall as a Wolf, they get the Tiger colored Pin. Alternatively, the Scout Shops still have the old, non-colored, all gold colored pin. You could awards this in their final year if they have all four of the others.

My understanding is that Cub are automatically moved up a level June 1, so any work done over the summer goes to the next level. So Tigers May 31st and do summer activities would earn the Wolf Summertime pin, Wolves May 31st are then workign on the Bear Summertime Pin, etc.

As for the old all gold pins, not everyone still has them in stock.

Well, we had a the same question about the Outdoor Activity Award, and I asked the go-to person at our local Scout shop. The answer was that, if a Webelos II attended camp in his second year, as well as his first, and, if he did the other required activities in his second year (not re-using the first year activities), then he would get the paw pin.

I know that is not 'official', but the person I asked is looked upon as a sort of authority, so I felt comfortable with it. Plus, it just sort of made sense: one year of camp + activities = one award.