Well Sad story about summer camp

"I am thinking about small calms court, but there is nothing in writing so I am screwed."

You probably don't need anything more than what you have. Chances are, you have a check that you made out to someone, and/or a receipt, showing that you paid for him. If nothing else, you have your word saying you paid it.

I suppose he could lie and say it was a gift, but if that's not what happened, chances are the judge won't believe him.

If you feel you really need something in writing, then send him a letter politely asking him when he's going to pay the $175 he owes you. It's very likely you'll get something back in writing saying that he owes $150. :)

The other question is whether it's worth the trouble, or whether you should just chalk it up to experience. Personally, I'd chalk it up to experience, but the dollar amount is close to the point where I would go after it.(This message has been edited by clemlaw)

The lesson learned here should be you cannot screw a friend without consequences. Sue him in small claims court. I know that if you appeared in front of me on this and he started the old 2 square shuffle and couldn't show that he had paid it would be almost a sure bet he would lose.

I agree that you should sue him. A Scout is Find and a Scout is Trustworthy; however, a Scout is not a Fool. When he needed assistance, you helped him out when asked. He said he would pay you back and he hasn't yet. You reminded him at the first meeting and the ran away. You saw him at the gas station and he ran away again. It would be one thing if he approached you and offered a payment plan, but he hasn't even done that. He is just hoping it all goes away. Let him know it hasn't gone away and that he will have to answer for his actions. Let him try to run away from the court.

Good luck,

Chazz Lees