Heritages belt loop

Here's a question.

Heritages belt loop talk about family. Would it be too much of a stretch to consider scouting as a family. The reason I ask is that we are thinking about the possibility of doing the Heritage belt loop at Day Camp this summer, where our theme is the History of Scouting. The program director came up with this idea, and we're tossing it around to see if it's feasible. I can see both sides of it, but I wanted to get some outside opinion.

Thoughts?

Sounds like a terrific program idea (especially in this 100th anniverary year), especially if they can earn the belt loop on the parallel track of their own families (which no doubt could be done mostly at the day camp, plus you'll have drop off/pick up interaction with the families to be sure they know to talk "about your family heritage: its history, traditions, and culture", and give them help with the family tree.

And, by getting families involved, you might be able to . . . wait for it . . .

get families involved! For folks who think that day camp is a great BSA (Baby Sitters . . .) program, you can volunteer them to come in and be a hero to thier sons by helping with their son's presentation to other scouts in his camp den about his heritage and family tree. (Heritages is the easiest one to get families involved, because hardly anyone can say "well, I don't know anything about that"!).

Also intriguing would be to bring in former unit leaders from your Packs or Troops (whether DLs or CMs or Scoutmasters or current/former Committee and Chartered Organization folks), and put a personal face on the family tree of those who've helped make your units run and thrive today . . . assuming they're on good terms and are good sports and aren't gonna be grouchy old "well when I use to run things . . ." types ;^)