Baloo Wants You - Take Two

Greetings Scouters,

Ive been working on a Wood Badge project of assembling narratives (for want of a better term) of current and former Cub Scout leaders that combine descriptions of their leadership experience with words of advice and encouragement. These narratives would be put into printed form, entitled Baloo Wants You, to be given to new and prospective Cub Scout parents. By providing this information upfront I hope to avoid the deer in the headlights / put on the spot feeling of parents when they are approached about assuming leadership positions. The best case scenario would be that the narratives are so motivational and entertaining that the parents would approach us first. I can dream cant I?

Ive been working with my local leadership, getting written accounts and setting up interviews, but I thought I would try to expand the scope. I had posted a request on the Yahoo Cub Scout Talk board that, while yielding some positive comments, has not been very fruitful. So I thought I would try a different approach on the Scouter Forums.

Instead of sending narratives to me for sharing with the world at a later date, as I had been requesting, just respond to this thread. By responding to the thread I would assume you would have no objection to my including your words in my hand-out to parents. I would make a reference to the Forums and your screen name. If you had something more to contribute or have questions please feel free to email me.

If you chose to respond please try to incorporate the following questions:

* What prompted you to become a Cub Scout leader?

* Did you find it difficult to integrate your Cub Scout duties with your other day-to day activities and responsibilities?

* What are some of the things you find/found satisfying about being/having been a Cub Scout leader?

* Can you share a favorite story from your Cub Scout leadership experiences?

* What words of advice or encouragement do you have for potential Cub Scout Leaders?

Through these real stories by real people the ultimate message Im hoping to convey is that Cub Scout leadership is rewarding, fun and, while challenging at times, is not rocket science. If we can do it, so can you!

Thanks!

YIS

Mike

* What prompted you to become a Cub Scout leader?

No one else would volunteer to be the Tiger den leader, so another parent volunteered me.

* Did you find it difficult to integrate your Cub Scout duties with your other day-to day activities and responsibilities?

Sometimes, especially in the first year, but it gets much easier in subsequent years.

* What are some of the things you find/found satisfying about being/having been a Cub Scout leader?

Smiling kids who tell you they had fun and give you a hug when they see you. Seeing kids experience something they've never done before.

* Can you share a favorite story from your Cub Scout leadership experiences?

Accompanied an ill parent and his son on a pack outing to a large city. This is likely to be one of the last major trips this parent will be able to go on with their son, and it was a great feeling to be able to help them take the traip and have them experience it together. Making memories is important.

* What words of advice or encouragement do you have for potential Cub Scout Leaders?

Hang in there. The first year is the hardest. You'll likely get much more out of it then you put into it. Being a Cub leader is a real confidence booster. You'll be amazed how much you change in just a couple of years.